OLLI brownbaggers chat over lunch on Cuban Missile Crisis

(Rachel Suhs / DESIGN EDITOR)
(Rachel Suhs / DESIGN EDITOR)

Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Auburn University, or OLLI at Auburn, is looking back to a time when tensions were high and the threat of nuclear war hung over the head of all Americans.

Its next Brown Bag program event will be Monday, Oct. 17 at noon and will feature a lecture commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Cuban missile crisis.

A Brown Bag program event is an opportunity for OLLI at Auburn members and the general public to bring a lunch and listen to a noontime lecture, said Linda Shook, OLLI at Auburn coordinator. OLLI at Auburn offers two Brown Bag programs each semester.

"It is always important to contemplate important milestones in history, and clearly the Cuban Missile Crisis is one of these special markers in history," Shook said. "On Oct. 22, 1962, the relationship between Cuba and the United States changed, and it continues to impact our relationship."

The lecture, which will be held in the Lexington Hotel's ballroom, provides an opportunity to learn more about the details surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis, Russian and U.S. relations and negotiations and the role of nuclear weapons.

John Neubauer, member of OLLI who also teaches an OLLI class on financial planning, said he experienced the impact of the Cuban Missile Crisis in his life.

"I am a retired Air Force fighter pilot, and my assignments and training were affected a lot by the Cold War," Neubauer said. "The Cuban Missile Crisis played a significant role in shaping the Cold War relationship between the U.S. and Soviets and many world events during the next 28 years."

Neubauer said he is looking forward to hearing James Nathan, the lecturer for the event, speak about his insights on how the negotiations between the U.S. and the Soviet Union transpired.

Nathan, a professor at Auburn University at Montgomery is the author of several books about U.S. foreign policy.

Two of his books are "Anatomy of the Cuban Missile Crisis" and "The Cuban Missile Crisis Revisited."

The lecture provides an opportunity to learn about the past and possibly apply it to future situations, Shook said.

"Understanding the facts about what occurred will help us understand our current status with Cuba," Shook said. "Hopefully, it will also provide us with the opportunity to contemplate our future with better understanding."

Neubauer said he recommends arriving early because there is limited seating in the ballroom.

"It should be a very educational and interesting lecture," Neubauer said. "The speaker is very accomplished."

Because of the age of a majority of OLLI at Auburn members, Shook said the topic holds a great deal of interest for them. However, this event is not restricted to just OLLI at Auburn members.

"Since many of our members were young adults during the early 1960s, they are especially interested in the history of Cuba in relation to our country," Shook said. "Anyone in the community that wants to learn more about and reflect on this topic is welcome to attend."

No reservations or tickets are required to attend the lecture, and Shook said the ballroom holds approximately 200 people.

"Folks of all ages and backgrounds are encouraged to attend," Shook said. "It is a great way to share lifelong learning with the community."

Share and discuss “OLLI brownbaggers chat over lunch on Cuban Missile Crisis” on social media.