New members rush to Bid Day 2013

Taylor Horton and Lauren Runnels celebrated after they received their bids from the Phi Mu sorority. Jenna Burgess / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR

The tiring week of Fall 2013 Sorority Recruitment came to an end on August 18, but also was just the beginning for many newly recruited women.
The excitement took over the girls as they were introduced to their new sorority sisters.
"Bid day is a memorable day for those women who join sororities," said Jill Moore, director of Greek Life. "Bid day is when a new sorority member can meet the other members of her new member class and get into being a sorority member, rather than just learning about sororities."
Reflecting over the past week, Emma Fuchs, freshman in nursing said she would not change a thing about her recruitment experience and gives advice to those going through it in the future.
"Just to be yourself because you don't want to be in a sorority where you can't be yourself," Fuchs said. "You have to go through it and be the best that you can be because they want you for who you are."
The long week exhausted Morgan Satterfield, freshman in biomedical science, which made her think of possible changes she would have made if she knew what she was in for.
"I would probably try to get more sleep and be more open-minded," Satterfield said.
Ashley Roberson, sophomore in exercise science and kinesiology thought the recruitment process was a well-rounded experience.
"Day 1 was really exciting and really loud," Roberson said. "Day 2 was fun too because you were learning what the sororities support. Also seeing the different attitudes and personalities in the different sororities on Skit Day was fun, but seeing the serious side of it was fun too."
Although most of the potential new members going through recruitment are freshman, some are sophomores.
Lynley Garner, sophomore in sociology, said the week turned out to be more difficult than she anticipated, but she was able to stay positive throughout the whole experience.
"Rushing as a sophomore was challenging because a lot of sororities don't like to take sophomores, so after the first cut, I got cut by 12 and then I got cut by four more, so I literally had one left the last three rounds of Rush and it was really nerve-wracking, but it all turned out really well," Garner said.
The Pi Chi groups, groups of potential new members that go to sorority parties together, offer support during the rush process.
"Other girls are going to look to you for support because you're rushing with the same group of girls, so you have to be supportive of your friends and your sisters," Garner said.
Although approximately 60 women received bids at each sorority, some women did not receive a bid at all or dropped throughout recruitment for various reasons.
"If someone really wants to join a sorority, I encourage her to learn about the other ways to join during the year, specifically Continuous Open Bidding, in which some sororities will offer a few more bids," Moore said.

Share and discuss “New members rush to Bid Day 2013” on social media.