Students, leave a greater legacy.

I had the chance to attend a public forum for the city of Auburn this past week.
The meeting was held to gather feedback and opinions from the community about the new Downtown Master Plan.

The crowd's demographic was what you would expect for a forum meeting, mostly elderly members of the community, mixed with a few middle-age couples and a small group of students, most of whom were required to be there for a class.

I went to the event expecting to be bored, but actually found myself getting excited. I got more and more enthusiastic as the urban planners shared their visions of a revamped Toomer's Corner, landscaped areas in downtown, more theaters, bookstores, art galleries and thankfully, better parking options.

As I filled out my survey detailing what I would like to see in Auburn, I sadly realized I would never get to see the plans come to fruition.

I will never see the new Samford Park, the outdoor patio areas, the manicured lawns and beautifully landscaped park areas set around downtown.

As of August 2014, I'll be done, graduated and hopefully will have a job, most likely in a different city.

Then I began thinking about my legacy.

I hope the input I gave to the city's planning department will spur them on to make changes that will be for the betterment of Auburn students and the community as a whole.

I, however, will not be a part of that happening after next summer.

As I looked around the room, I was struck with the realization that the people who were offering their opinions and making decisions for the area, also, will most likely not reap the benefits of their involvement.

Many of the attendees were older than 70 years old, and as the development plan is a long term, 20-year plan, most will not live long enough to see the revitalized Auburn.

And yet, they still showed up.

They still decided it was important enough to have a voice, to offer whatever wisdom and thoughts they had to serve the city they love.

Which got me to thinking, why don't we?

Why do we as students, young adults in our 20s, the upcoming movers and shakers in our community and the world, not take responsibility like the elders of this area?

It will most likely be our generation and those younger than us who reap the benefits of the new development plan, or any sort of proposed action from the city, our government, etc., and yet, a lot of us simply don't care.

We don't show up, don't offer our thoughts, don't offer to help and don't nurture our city.

I understand most of us are here only for a brief time, usually about four years, but what are we leaving for those coming behind us?

During the meeting, it was obvious to me some of the residents of Auburn are less than thrilled with our presence. Our music is loud, our cars are fast and there are a lot of us.

But what would it look like if we made a point to leave a positive, lasting impact on our city, even in the small amount of time we're here?

I think the effect would be enormous. I think this city could grow, thrive and contribute even more than it does now.

Of course, the lack of involvement isn't true of everyone.

I understand our students already do a lot for the community. Local ministries, service organizations and student employment are evidence of that.

What I'm talking about is more.

More intentionality.

More investment.

What would this city look like if we showed up to city council meetings?

What if we voted more often? What if we invested time and money in efforts to better Auburn? What if we shopped locally and supported the hard-working people who earn their living here?

I think we would find that when we leave, there would be a hole. The people here would miss us, not breath a sigh of relief when we leave for the summer.

We would leave behind a legacy of service, involvement and care for Auburn.

I want to challenge our student body, and particularly our new freshmen.

Invest in the citizens of Auburn.
Invest in this community.
You have four years here.

Why not make sure the time you spend will make life better for the people left behind after you leave? I know I'm grateful for the impact this city, its people and past students have had on me.

It's funny how a city council meeting can make you so sentimental.

Share and discuss “Students, leave a greater legacy.” on social media.