Editorial: 'Are you not entertained?' No, we aren't

Perhaps we're just bitter; perhaps we're jaded.
But we know when we've had enough.
Auburn has become a place where mediocre bands go to die, and the UPC is to blame.
Think about it. During the past four years we've had two currently popular -- let alone talented -- acts perform on The Plains.
But a visit from T-Pain and Girl Talk doesn't excuse what we see as a current misuse of UPC funds in bringing has-been or low-talent artists, such as Eric Hutchinson and Gloriana, to campus.
Sure, everybody has different tastes.
Some people even, for reasons beyond our understanding, liked Train. That's fine with us, we aren't talking about taste.
What we are talking about is an obvious lack of effort.
The UPC does work hard putting on all the events they have during the year, but it seems like they have low standards when it comes to finding artists to play here.
For instance, Gloriana and Eric Hutchinson aren't even close to being top-billing acts.
Maybe some of the money they spend on all the other sparsely attended events could be put toward finding more relevant performers.
The basketball team, in a desperate effort to find favor with a quickly waning fan base, was able to book Ludacris and Mike Epps.
Although, this move seems more like window dressing on a condemned building, the names say it all.
Big name acts want to come to Auburn.
However, UPC appears to be content with operating in a field of mediocrity.
Instead of aiming for the stars, they are aiming for whatever is cheapest.
There is a process to booking bands and comedians.
It takes time and money. Sometimes the acts you want lose interest, or get offered more money to play somewhere else.
But booking acts no one has heard of, or cares about, is like giving up.
We know they have the power and the resources to bring acts that could sell out the Arena many times over.
Yes, we are disappointed about what's in store for us at Bodda Getta Bash, but it isn't the end.
And while we chide the UPC for their lackluster booking skills, we also want to encourage them and let them know the students have high hopes.
They have a new chance, every semester, to make a lasting impression, to help create memories that will bring happiness for many years to come.
But it won't happen until they realize there is little room for mediocrity in the Auburn family.

Share and discuss “Editorial: 'Are you not entertained?' No, we aren't” on social media.