Operation Smile raises money for those without access to healthcare

Jade Whitaker, junior in biomedical sciences and president of Operation Smile, is changing lives one smile at a time.
Last year, Whitaker established Operation Smile on Auburn's campus.
"When I did research and realized I could bring it to Auburn's campus, I just thought, 'why not,'" Whitaker said. "I know there have to be other people who are really passionate about it too."
Operation Smile began in Virginia and has expanded to high schools and colleges throughout the country.
Sarah Whitmore, junior in biomedical science, helped Whitaker get the club running at the University and serves as the vice president.
"Operation Smile is actually a worldwide organization that provides free surgeries for kids and adults who don't have access to healthcare and can't afford surgeries," Whitmore said. "So, the club itself is really to raise awareness of the organization and also to raise money for them."
Whitmore planned their fall benefit concert last semester, which raised $2,298.
"I learned how good people can be," Whitmore said. "People would donate a full surgery that night, and people were very eager to sign up and sing for the concert."
Whitaker said she believes the fundraiser was a success and plans to have an open mic night benefit later in March.
"We raised a little over $2,200, and that was really huge considering it was our first event ever as an organization," Whitaker said. "We raised enough for 13 kids to get free surgeries. We are typically going to have one major event and then small events here and there."
Because the club has only been on campus for a year, many people are not aware of it.
Whitaker said the club is in the process of figuring out how they can reach out to the student population and expand.
Michael Kelley, freshman in architecture, has been involved with the national organization for five years.
Kelley said every student has an opportunity to attend the organization's national conference and apply for mission trainings.
"There are a lot more opportunities to give back than other clubs because you can actually travel to the people you're helping in developing countries and it's very hands on," Kelley said.
Any student is welcome to join the Operation Smile organization.
Operation Smile holds meetings every other Tuesday night at 7 p.m. in the Student Center.
"People don't really realize a smile is a huge thing and that's what people look at when they see you," Whitaker said. "Being able to provide a smile and change the way people live is awesome and I think that's a cool part of this organization."

Share and discuss “Operation Smile raises money for those without access to healthcare” on social media.