OPINION: A 'Bachelor' breakthrough

Twenty five beautiful women living in the same house and competing for the same guy seems to be an ideal way to find love, right?
ABC's "The Bachelor" has been a guilty pleasure of mine for years.
It's hard to say exactly what makes the show so entertaining. I think for the most part, the audience is more fascinated with the drama and competition more than the hope of two people finding love and living happily ever after.
Let's face it. The show's concept is unrealistic and the relationships hardly ever work out after the proposal, yet millions of viewers still tune in every week. Myself included.
The most recent season, featuring Juan Pablo Galavis, was probably the most real and intriguing so far.
Most of the credit can go to former frontrunner and fan favorite, Andi
Dorfman.
Galavis and Dorfman had a strong connection from the beginning, but after the two had their night together in the "fantasy suite," their relationship quickly went sour.
It's rare for a contestant to walk out on the Bachelor,.
But Dorfman suddenly decided that she was over Galavis.
She realized Galavis was more into himself than her.
According to Dorfman, their conversations only consisted of surface level topics and Galavis seemed uninterested in getting into deeper discussions about life.
The funny thing is, Galavis seemed to feel that the over-night date went well, but Dorfman couldn't wait to get out of the suite.
She waited until after their night together to tell him how she felt.
"I just never honestly feel like you were trying to get to know me," Dorfman told Galavis on the show. "Do you have any idea what religion I practice? What my political views are? ... Things that matter. Do you have any idea about how I want to raise my kids? Do you have any idea about any of that?"
He didn't.
In the suite, Galavis also discussed his "fantasy suite" date with another woman and implied that Dorfman only made it that far by default.
Dorfman was offended by his comments, as anyone should be, and decided Galavis was rude, arrogant and inappropriate.
I'm sure all who tuned in were appalled to hear some of the things he chose to bring up to her.
Galavis seemed to have an excuse for everything he said that caused controversy throughout the season.
He would say he was just being honest, that there was a language barrier, that words were put into his mouth--blah, blah, blah.
Dorfman didn't seem to buy it.
As long as I have watched the show, I've noticed that these deep, meaningful subjects hardly seem to be addressed.
I think it's because contestants on the show seem to be so caught up in the fantasy of finding love in exotic locations, and they lose sight of real life.
It's refreshing to see a contestant get her head out of the clouds and stop trying to force feelings that aren't there just for a TV show.

Share and discuss “OPINION: A 'Bachelor' breakthrough” on social media.