Relay for Life gets all dolled up

John NcNeill, sophomore in aerospace engineering, dresses up for the Mr. Relay contest to raise money for Relay for Life.
Raye May / DESIGN EDITOR
John NcNeill, sophomore in aerospace engineering, dresses up for the Mr. Relay contest to raise money for Relay for Life. Raye May / DESIGN EDITOR

Three men stood out among the crowd at the Relay for Life event Saturday, April 5 in the Green Space.
Mr. Relay, a male student who dresses up as a woman and collects money for Relay for Life, had three contestants this year: Rock Rucker, sophomore in interdisciplinary studies, John McNeill, sophomore in aerospace engineering and Micah Gilliland, junior in environmental science.
"I've been involved in Auburn University Dance Marathon for the last two years and Relay for Life has really supported us and our cause," McNeill said. "It's really touched home with me and something I've become very passionate about, so I wanted to show them my support."
McNeill also has a personal connection to the cause.
"Both of my grandparents on my dad's side suffered from cancer within the last two years," McNeill said. "I want to raise as much money as I can and put on smile on people's faces."
Rucker said he came to the event because his girlfriend was working the event, but realized he has a deeper connection to the cause.
"My aunt passed away from cancer when I was 13 years old," Rucker said. "I figured I would be out her for her, as well as myself."
Gilliland won Mr. Relay 2013 and hopes to be the winner again this year.
"I [raised] $60 last year, so I'm hoping to do better than that," Gilliland said.
Auburn Relay for Life currently has 47 teams and 373 participants.
Katie Gordon, junior in math education, joined the event with her friends. Her team was able to raise approximately $3,000.
"I joined in support of a friend whose mom is battling cancer right now," Gordon said.
Activities including corn hole and various vendors selling candles, treats and lanterns scatter the Green Space.
The lantern ceremony to remember the loved ones who lost their lives to cancer will be at 8 p.m. on the Green Space.
Chris Brown, grassroots manager for the American Cancer Society, ACS, of cancer action, said ACS is trying to make the Auburn University event the first Can Club event in the entire state.
"If we can get Auburn University to have 40 people join or if we can have them build a team they can be an ACS Can Club team," Brown said. "We're really excited to have a college campus that is so passionate about getting involved and making sure cancer is a national priority."

Share and discuss “Relay for Life gets all dolled up” on social media.