Foy construction more than just renovations

(Graphic illustration by Raye May | Photo & Design Editor)

Renovations to Foy Hall are scheduled to begin at the end of this month and run through January 2015.
Two phases of renovations are planned: one to the East Plaza, scheduled to be finished by the end of August, and two to increase Foy's dining space to include a Chicken Salad Chick, scheduled to open January 2015.
"The biggest ailment of the east side renovation is we did have some maintenance work we had to do out there," said Jim Carroll, university architect with Facilities Management.
Auburn's Facilities Management looked at the east side of Foy as their next project because the sidewalk needed replacement due to age and tree roots breaking through the pavement.
Carroll said the area across Ross Square and Foy is a highly traveled part of campus.
According to Carroll, the goal of this renovation is to better the exterior environment students frequent.
"It'll be a sort of a more open and inviting plaza for students, faculty, staff and really the Auburn Family," Carroll said.
The project at Ross Square was started in late February 2013. Some students have complained about more construction coming to campus, as other projects are being completed.
"I think it's a nice idea, but I will admit I'm a tad tired of construction work happening at Auburn," said Lindsey Henson, senior in psychology.
As a student recruiter, Henson struggles talking over loud construction and has to alter her tour routes because of it.
"I think we have enough relaxation and courtyard areas that Auburn could wait until next spring to do renovations," Henson said.
The construction bid for the East Plaza renovations came in at about $150,000. This funding comes through general funds from the University, specifically a Facilities Management deferred maintenance account.
"Our deferred maintenance fund is a fund that allows us to manage facilities throughout the campus," Carroll said.
Auxiliary Services pursued the $2.2 million dining hall renovation, which the vice president of student affairs, as well as students and members of SGA have given feedback on.
"It's a great location because it's going to be right on the Thach Concourse," Carroll said, "What's interesting about it is it will engage the students and activate the courtyard, as well."
Historically, the open brick courtyard has been a hot, unwelcoming corner of campus.
Facilities Management's solution to Foy's unintentional sauna is to incorporate more landscaping and canopies in the courtyard.
"We're removing the relative discomfort back there because we're taking away the large, open-masonry feel that was on the floor," Carroll said.
The new dining venue will extend into the courtyard, creating different seating areas outside; additional seating inside is also planned.
"People have really supported the food venues in Foy over the years, and this one, in particular, should be pretty good," Carroll said.
Mitchell Kilpatrick, a graduate student in communication, is excited about the renovations coming to Foy.
"It's been there for a while, so I think it's time for maybe a little upgrade," Kilpatrick said. "I've spent more time in Foy recently than I have in the past, so it would be good to see those upgrades and see what they add to it."
Henson, though she would love a semester free from construction, said, "I don't like the process, but I like the results. Auburn never disappoints me in their renovations."

Share and discuss “Foy construction more than just renovations” on social media.