Students discuss most disliked fashion trends

Auburn students walk down the Haley concourse in Nike shorts and T-shirts. (Raye May | Photo & Design Editor)

Style is often used as an expression of who someone is, but is often subject to others' judgment.
"I loathe Chacos," said Seth McCollough, senior in vocal performance. "They're ugly, dirty and smelly; especially when people don't know how to clean them. They are not cute and definitely a fad that needs to die."
Chacos are a type of sandal made for hiking, though they are worn by many people on Auburn's campus. This means they are also subject to students' scrutiny, such as James Coker, senior in media studies.
"I don't know why you would wear Chacos on campus," Coker said. "I get the fact that people want to hike and stuff, but it's weird to see them on campus. You can have on shoes or flip flops."
Savannah Vaughn, senior in social work, disagreed, saying Chacos were perfect for both recreational activities and wearing on campus.
"The people who don't like Chacos probably don't do any of the activities that you need Chacos for," Vaughn said. "People who don't like them, I think, have never tried them. I tried them, and now I can't not wear them."
Coker also does not appreciate the trend of Nike athletic shorts or large t-shirts.
"[I don't like] the Nike shorts and the 2XL T-shirts," Coker said. "I think girls wear it way too much. I like when girls don't look like they're coming straight from the gym."
Esteban Porres, recent Auburn alumnus, agreed.
"I don't hate them, but I think it's dumb to wear them every day," Porres said.
However, Chloe Worthy, senior in social work, disagreed.
"When I came to college I wanted the full experience, and in order to get the full experience I needed to look the part," Worthy said. "A legit college student wears Nike shorts, t-shirts and Chacos, period."
Worthy also pointed out college is one of the only times students will not be expected to worry about their appearance.
"I don't want to get up any earlier than necessary to dress cute," Worthy said. "We'll have to get up, look cute and wear professional clothes when we have jobs. I'm trying to be lazy while I can."
High-waist shorts are another clothing choice over which students have expressed negative opinions.
"Those acid washed [denim] high-waist shorts need to stay behind in the 80s," said Sami Bustos, senior in molecular biology. "I think that's a trend that isn't flattering on anyone and should never come back in style."
Rebecca Koch, graduate student in biology, is from California, and said she noticed a lot of different trends from the ones in her home state.
"When I first got here I was blown away by how different everything was," Koch said. "[The] first thing I noticed was the girls with the Nike shorts and the big t-shirts, which I've never seen before. You wore that if you were a jock back home. If you were in a sorority [in California] you were wearing perfect, really expensive clothes. It was totally different, but the guys are maybe just as different."
Koch said she neither hates nor likes the Nike shorts and T-shirt trend.
"I wouldn't say I hate it or despise the style, but I just can't take anybody seriously with visors," Koch said. "I didn't know that was a cool thing, but I see them everywhere."
She pointed out she didn't hate any of the trends she might have described.
"None of this really bothers me; I just think it's kind of funny," Koch said. "I think 'style,' if you call it that, is just ridiculous anyway."
David Marsh, sophomore in pre-music education, said comfort was the most important thing in his assessment of style on the other sex.
"Well, I think that the most important thing is that a girl is comfortable in what she's wearing," Marsh said. "If she isn't, it can be pretty obvious. What's the point of trying to look good if you feel miserable in the process?"
At the end of the day, it's a person's choice to decide what they want to wear, a sentiment expressed by Melissa Hutchins, senior in social work.
"You can't hate people for wearing what they want," Hutchins said. "Everyone wants to be accepted. They want to feel like they're a part of something."

Share and discuss “Students discuss most disliked fashion trends” on social media.