OPINION: Before Cam Newton, Dameyune Craig was the man at Auburn

Dameyune Craig was the man. I can not emphasize this enough.
You students too young to remember Craig in his playing days missed out on a once-in-a-lifetime quarterback. Well, until Cam came around.
Craig made plays that no Auburn quarterback had ever made. He escaped certain sack situations like 8-year-old defenders were coming after him.
I was a junior in high school during Craig's 1997 senior season (Yes, I am old.). His play captivated me and made him, still to this day, my favorite Tiger of all time.
He stepped up in big moments, especially on the road.
Facing a tough test on a Thursday night at Virginia to start the 1997 season, Craig found Karsten Bailey for a 57-yard touchdown in the 3rd quarter that can only be described as incredible. Do yourself a favor and watch this play on YouTube.
With the Cavaliers' crowd roaring in the 4th, Craig found Bailey again on a cross pattern for a 77-yard touchdown to put the game away.
The rest of that season was just as magical. Before there was War "Cam" Eagle, there was War "Dameyune" Eagle.
Going into the intimidating Death Valley of LSU on Saturday night, the now Heisman candidate led the Tigers on an 80-yard, 10-play drive in the final three minutes to knock off the 10th-ranked Bayou Bengals. Craig, working with hardly any running game, continually won games with both his feet and arm.
Winning a night game against rival Georgia in Athens? Not a problem for Craig.
My first time attending an Auburn game at Jordan-Hare was the 1997 Iron Bowl. My father, the patient man he is, sat with me for hours so we would get a great position at Tiger Walk and I would be able to see my idol. That day, Craig was not going to let the Tigers lose.
After an Alabama fumble, Craig led Auburn to field goal range to set up Jaret Holmes' game winner.
He was fearless. In the SEC Championship game, he stared down, and went toe to toe with, the great Peyton Manning, coming up short in a one-point Auburn loss.
Now an assistant coach under Gus Malzahn and a force on the recruiting trail, Craig is now back in the place where he became a legend.
It will take a monumental effort for any Tiger to pass him in my mind.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Before Cam Newton, Dameyune Craig was the man at Auburn” on social media.