Rivals come together at FCA Iron Bowl Roundtable

Assistant coach Dameyune Craig watches wide receiver Ricardo Louis return a punt during a drill on Monday.
Anna Grafton / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR
Assistant coach Dameyune Craig watches wide receiver Ricardo Louis return a punt during a drill on Monday. Anna Grafton / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR

Football rivals came together at the 2nd Annual Iron Bowl Roundtable on Thursday night at the First Baptist Church in Opelika to talk football and faith.
Former Auburn Tigers Dameyune Craig, Will Herring, Jerraud Powers and Ben Thomas joined former Crimson Tide players Marvin Constant, Ricky Davis and Jeremiah Castille at the event hosted by the East Alabama Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
The former gridiron heroes took turns telling stories of their playing days, even if some of them didn't enjoy football at first.
"I never wanted to play sports. The only reason I played was, every day after school, all my buddies were at football practice," Thomas said.
Powers added, "I couldn't fathom the fact that guys could try to take my head off and not get in trouble for it."
More than 150 Tiger and Tide fans showed up to listen to the former players.
The speakers fondly recalled stories about playing in the annual Iron Bowl, with both sides speaking of the intensity of the game.
"It's the greatest rivalry in the country," Powers said. "In the NFL, everyone wanted to ask me about the Auburn-Alabama game."
Craig, now co-offensive coordinator for the Tigers, spoke of how he has witnessed the rivalry from a fan's, player's and coach's perspective.
"I enjoy it much more as a fan," Craig said to loud laughter.
Being the starting quarterback in the 1997 game, Craig said, "I didn't want to be the first Auburn quarterback to lose to them at Jordan-Hare. That's the first time I ever felt pressure."
Ricky Davis, a quarterback for the Crimson Tide back in the 1970s, told of how the legendary Bear Bryant called him and offered him a scholarship."
"My mother told me that Coach Bryant was on the phone," Davis said. "I thought it was just a friend playing a prank on me, but then I heard that voice."
Faith plays a major factor in each of the former players' lives.
"My faith is so strong that I believe in the end, things are going to work out," Craig said. "I always tell the kids I am recruiting to 'go pray on it.'"
Herring, a seven-year player in the NFL, said, "I have been blessed. Everyone I have gone I have been surrounded by good Godly men and being mentored by them."
Powers received the loudest roar of laughter when talking about the 2007 Iron Bowl.
"I had a great game in that Iron Bowl, but everyone just remembers the dog bite," Powers said. "You can look it up on YouTube. It has about 3 million views. I'm pretty popular on there."
Proceeds from the event went toward the East Alabama FCA's general fund.

Share and discuss “Rivals come together at FCA Iron Bowl Roundtable” on social media.