University awards 1,150 degrees at Saturday graduation ceremonies

The University awarded a total of 732 bachelor's degrees, 296 master's degrees, 102 doctorates, 17 education specialist degrees and three pharmacy degrees.

With the toss of a tassel and a handshake on stage, 1,150 Auburn seniors became Auburn alumni.
The University held two ceremonies, at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., on Saturday, Aug. 2.
Retired U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Ron Burgess gave the address.
Burgess graduated from Auburn in 1974 and is a 38-year Army veteran. He returned to the University in 2012 after an illustrious career in military security and intelligence.
Burgess served as the University's leader in development of security and cyber initiatives.
The 10 a.m. ceremony included students from the schools of Architecture, Engineering, Interdisciplinary Studies, College of Liberal Arts and the College of Sciences and Mathematics.
The College of Liberal Arts awarded 180 degrees; College of Human Sciences awarded 97 degrees; College of Business awarded 128 degrees; College of Engineering awarded 89 degrees; College of Sciences and Mathematics awarded 49 degrees; College of Architecture, Design and Construction awarded 31 degrees; and Interdisciplinary Studies awarded nine degrees.
Burgess began the 10 a.m. ceremony and focused on the changes facing each graduate. He said the class of 2014 enters into a time of global independence and face a time full of promise and opportunity.
"There are few moments more exciting than a college graduation," Burgess said. "It symbolizes the strength, confidence and wealth of our society."
Burgess challenged the graduates to know no limits and take advantage of the creative technology available in the world. He urged the graduates to set high standards for themselves and hold those standards to others.
"You are a society that believes everything is possible," Burgess said. "You crave team work and fun and demand social relationships with everyone in different forms and fashions and remain creative if not a bit entitled."
Journalism graduate Elizabeth Brown was among the 180 to receive a Liberal Arts degree. Brown attended Auburn for all four years and graduates after a completed internship at The Selma Times Journal.
"I have never been able to call somewhere home like I have with Auburn," Brown said. "It's a feeling that I'll miss greatly. I am so excited to see what God has in store for me as I continue on this crazy journey called life, War Eagle always."
Brown will be moving to Troy and begin her job as a reporter for The Messenger this upcoming week.
The 2 p.m. ceremony included graduates from the colleges of Agriculture, Business, Education, Forestry, Human Sciences and Nursing.
The College of Agriculture awarded 21 degrees; College of Business awarded 128 degrees; School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences awarded 11 degrees; College of Human Sciences awarded 97 degrees; and School of Nursing awarded 57 degrees.
Brittany Thompson graduated with a bachelor's degree in nursing.
"After graduation I will be moving to Birmingham to begin a job as a nurse in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit at UAB hospital," Thompson said. "It's going to be hard to leave Auburn, but I will always have the best memories."
Thompson said her favorite Auburn memory was rushing the field with 87,000 fans after the 2013 Iron Bowl.
Before the graduates were awarded their degrees and Aubie bounded onto the stage and Burgess left the new graduates with a reminder.
"Seize the moment," Burgess said. "But don't forget the trailblazers that came before and those that will come after you. I urge you to remember the hope and optimism you feel right now, don't ever lose it."

Share and discuss “University awards 1,150 degrees at Saturday graduation ceremonies” on social media.