Editorial: Put your hands up for game day changes

(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)
(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)

Jordan-Hare has always been a special place.
During football season, it's the heart of the raw energy that is the Auburn spirit. Even after the season ends, students look to the stadium as an integral part of Auburn's campus and history.
Much like the football team, the stadium has seen its share of ups and downs. However, it has remained a beacon for the Auburn Family since 1939.
For the past few years, the amenities at Jordan-Hare have been sorely lacking. Overpriced food, water and cramped seating have made it seem more like a NFL stadium than a college one.
Perhaps this was due to the collapsing national economy; perhaps the athletic department was hurting for money.
We can't say. However, we are pleased to see the athletic department making changes for the better.
Now, water is $2, half the price it used to be, and hotdogs are $1 cheaper. More free water stations have also been installed, saving fans even more money. The student section has also been expanded.
These improvements may seem small, but we think they are a step in the right direction.
All too often, sports venues are centers for greed and price gouging.
They function under the mentality of milking fans for every last dollar.
Anyone who's been to a professional football, basketball or baseball game in the last 10 years can attest to this.
Because sports, whether professional or college, are a big industry, venues are allowed to get away with this graft. Fans either pay up or watch the game on TV.
It's great to see Auburn beginning to buck this trend.
After all, without the fans, the Tigers would just be a bunch of guys running around on a field.
The recent improvements are the athletic department's show of loyalty, a recognition of the people who keep them employed.
Hopefully, this is just the beginning.
In the future, we would love to see cheaper student tickets and a better system for selling them.
Anything the athletic department can do to make the game day experience more affordable, and therefore more enjoyable, is something we will support.
As loyal fans, we greatly appreciate these gestures of gratitude.
We look forward to what the next few years have in store for Jordan-Hare.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Put your hands up for game day changes” on social media.