Reliving the rush: Iron Bowl 2013

(File photo)
(File photo)

After Chris Davis' memorable 109-yard touchdown in the 2013 Iron Bowl, students, alumni and fans alike celebrated with approximately 80,000 of their closest friends.
"I will never forget it," said Allie Deyton, junior in marine biology.
According to Deyton, she was one of the first to rush Pat Dye Field after Auburn's 34-28 victory over Alabama on Nov. 30, 2013.
At Auburn home games, Deyton can be found in the front row of the student section behind the south end zone covered head to toe in orange and blue paint.
Deyton said before the game that will forever be remembered, her and a group of other students who paint up for every home game were joking about rushing the field if Auburn won.
"Everything happened so fast," Deyton said. "Everyone went all at once because we were hyped up. Everyone started pouring in and it was awesome."
Deyton said she had no resistance from the guards, who moved to the goalpost as fans poured onto the field.
"It was crowded, but no one cared," Deyton said. "I know it's against the rules, but it showed how much we love the team and how much spirit we have."
According to Deyton, she has grown up a passionate Auburn fan and was thankful to share the experience with her fellow students and her family, who was also at the game.
Ric Smith, lecturer in the School of Communication and Journalism, had a different experience for the Kick Six game.
Serving his ninth season as the announcer for Jordan-Hare Stadium, Smith said he thoroughly enjoyed the celebration.
"It was an amazing night and moment," Smith said. "Time sort of ran together because it was one long wonderful moment."
From his seat above the field, Smith said he suppressed his excitement long enough to say, "Chris Davis returns the field goal for an Auburn touchdown" before celebrating.
"My first emotion was to announce the play," Smith said. "Once I turned the microphone off, I was jumping up and down and celebrating."
According to Smith, he stayed after the game and took in the sight of fans celebrating the victory.
"I think everyone was just caught up in the moment and were elated," Smith said. "It was pure joy and still is."
Taylor Littleton, junior in biosystems engineering, was painted up with Deyton for the Iron Bowl.
"It all happened so loudly and so quickly," Littleton said. "The stadium was loud and very emotional."
Littleton said after Chris Davis scored the touchdown, "the next thing I knew I was past the guards and on the field."
"It meant a lot not just to (the players) but to us," Littleton said. "That's definitely something I'll be telling my kids and grandkids about."
While Calley Craton, junior in agriculture economics, was not painted from head to toe, she said she will always remember rushing the field.
"I think that is the most epic things I have ever been a part of," Craton said.
According to Craton, she was sitting with her brother on the fourth row in fraternity block seating on the 30-yard line.
After the final touchdown she said her brother started shouting, "rush the field!"
"We were on the field in less than five minutes," Craton said. "I ended up landing in a bush."
During her time on the field, Craton said she didn't pay much attention to the crowd.
"I was so overwhelmed with joy," Craton said. "Nobody was a stranger. I even spanked Bo Jackson without thinking."
Craton said she is thankful she got to experience that night with her brother.
"That was the biggest interpretation of the Auburn Family I have ever felt," Craton said. "That's gonna be in football history for a long time."

Share and discuss “Reliving the rush: Iron Bowl 2013” on social media.