Auburn Arts Association and Parks and Recreation team up for Eighth Annual Holiday Art Sale

(Contributed by Meg Rainey)
(Contributed by Meg Rainey)

The Auburn Arts Association and Auburn Parks and Recreation are partnering to host the Holiday Art Sale for the eighth consecutive year.
Located at the Jan Dempsey Community Arts Center, the event is scheduled for Dec. 13 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Sixty vendors will be selling everything from pottery to jewelry to visual art. Everything sold is handmade by the artists.
Shelley Shields, a member of the Art Association's Board of Directors and the association's past president, also presents her work at the Holiday Art Sale every year.
"I don't really sell my visual art, but I make scarves and hats," Shields said. "I crochet. That's what I sell at the show."
Shields said she has been a part of the association for 20 years and has been involved with the art sale since its inception.
Sara Hand Custer, cultural arts director for Auburn Parks and Recreation, said she started the sale when she was the arts education specialist.
"I decided to start this sale really to give local and regional artists an opportunity to sell their work," Custer said.
Most of the vendors are from the Auburn-Opelika area, though there are others from throughout the Southeast.
"It was mostly local people [at first]," Shields said. "Then the word got out and more people wanted to participate. We see them at other art shows and invite them to come."
While the sale has the goal to help "give the artisans a little Christmas money," according to Shields, it also acts as a fundraiser for the Arts Association. Ten percent of the presenting artists' profits go back to the association, according to Custer.
This year, the sale will take place both in Jan Dempsey and the newly-built Harris Center, adjacent to the arts center. Having the extra space opened 20 extra spaces for more artists.
Even with the extra space, the demand from vendors has created a waiting list.
"The sale has always been popular ever since its beginnings," Custer said. "Now, it's become so popular, we literally run out of spaces within two weeks of announcing the sale."
If the weather is agreeable, artists on the waiting list will have the opportunity to set up outside in the parking lot connecting the Harris Center and Jan Dempsey.
The sale is not only for art, however. Hot chocolate, apple cider and coffee are among the beverages that will be served. Custer said the vendors will also bring a surprise in the way of refreshments.
"We definitely have a community spirit with all who participate," Custer said. "We ask all of the artists participating to bring a sweet treat for patrons to enjoy and of course the Arts Association and our Arts Committee. We love luring in the community with amazing food and beverages."
A recent addition to the event is live music.
"Last year, we had a band called The Electric Rangers, and they were a hoot," Custer said. "They were so much fun. They've played some of our city events and our concert series. We might be getting them back this year, but I'm not sure if we've got confirmation yet."
If the weather is inclement, the arts center will serve as home base for festivities. The art gallery in Jan Dempsey, which is also coordinated by the Arts Association, will have a holiday exhibit featuring small works.
"We'll try to centralize it in the front lobby of the arts center," Custer said. "So even though it's in two locations, the arts center serves as a home base because we definitely want our patrons to experience the small works exhibition."

Share and discuss “Auburn Arts Association and Parks and Recreation team up for Eighth Annual Holiday Art Sale” on social media.