OPINION: Restarting careers and returning to a passion

Sometimes the answer is so crystal-clear you miss it.
Why do I bring this up? It's because, for 10 years after graduating with my first undergraduate degree, I was searching for a career that felt right, made me happy.
From 2003-13, I worked a variety of jobs in sales and marketing, never thinking to myself, "Hey, I could really do this the rest of my life."
During my spare time and, apologies to past bosses, during a lot of work time, I would write. It didn't matter the subject. I would just air out my feelings of the day.
What started as emails to a few friends became a distribution list, then a blog.
Well, actually, let's back up before that. When I was 10 years old, I tried to start a newspaper from my grandmother's family room. It was to be called The Sports Report and would be full of breaking news and hard-hitting issues, such as why Ryne Sandberg didn't attend my last birthday party and whether Rex Chapman was overrated.
I sold a subscription to some neighbors who, thankfully, never laughed in my face. I worked on this publication like the world depended on it. My readers needed the news.
This lasted for about a year. I then entered middle school and puberty set in. I put my newspaper aside for trying not to be too awkward around, well, everyone.
College came and went, and I was intent on starting and growing a career in sports marketing. Sales jobs were the way to do that.
I agreed, despite the fact I would rather cheer for that school on the other side of the state than make a cold call.
I toiled away for these years, all the time sending out 1,000-word emails about why I dislike Michael J. Fox and other nonsense. Writing these emails and blog posts were the best part of my day, and as I got better, my friends started to encourage me to pursue a journalism career.
My good friend Tom Kowalski was one of them.
A longtime sports reporter for the Detroit Lions, he would get upset at me for not dropping something I despised, for something I loved.
His words never meant as much as they did Aug. 29, 2011, when, while scrolling Twitter, I found out my good friend and mentor had died suddenly of a heart attack.
I finally made the decision to come back for a journalism degree in the fall of 2013.
What is the point of my story? Well, there are a few.
First, do what you love, because you will enjoy life a lot more.
Next, know it is never too late to drop everything and start a new career. I remember looking in the mirror last fall and seeing a 32-year-old who was miserable with his career path. I will graduate again this summer as a 34-year-old who now has a purpose in his career.
Lastly, follow your dreams. Mine was to one day work alongside Tom. I waited too long to get that chance.
Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go write a long essay on why "Saved by the Bell" was the most influential show of my lifetime.
Brian Stultz is a campus writer for The Plainsman. He can be reached at campus@theplainsman.com.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Restarting careers and returning to a passion” on social media.