Bowers powers Tigers to first SEC win of Pearl era

false

Cinmeon Bowers celebrates against Milwaukee. (Raye May / Photo Editor)

Cinmeon Bowers posted his ninth double-double of the season with 20 points and 14 rebounds as Auburn defeated Missouri 85-79 to secure the first SEC victory of the Bruce Pearl era.
Bowers' points came despite a tough night from the floor, where he went just 4-of-13.
However, Bowers made 11 of his 18 free throw attempts, an area the junior said he worked with assistant coach Chuck Person on improving this week.
"(Bowers) had a different mindset at the foul line, trying to make them all rather than looking at himself," Pearl said. "I just wanted him to look at himself more as a forward rather than an undersized center. Forwards guard, make free throws and make take threes and make them."
Bowers had help in securing the Tigers' first conference victory.
Four other Tigers scored in double digits, including 14 points from leading scorer KT Harrell and 13 from point guard KC Ross-Miller.
The balanced scoring was critical for Auburn's success, according to guard Tahj Shamsid-Deen.
"We got out on transition when we were playing defense and that's when we are the most dangerous," Shamsid-Deen said.
Auburn led for much of the first half, and took a 41-40 lead into the break. Missouri then broke out to start the second half, taking a 49-41 lead following Keith Shamburger's fifth 3-pointer.
The Tigers would clamp down on the senior to close out the game, and rode strong play from Antoine Mason and Shamsid-Deen during a 10-0 run to take the lead for good.
The performance of Shamsid-Deen was a bright spot according to Pearl, who said he felt the sophomore needed to begin making more contributions as conference play begins.
"It was great to see Tahj step up and make some baskets and score. He has not been rewarded much with many numbers," Pearl said. "So it was good to see him break out a little bit and get a little healthier.
Auburn outshot Missouri from the field, 48 to 44 percent, and sizzled from behind the arc, finishing 10-of-19 (53 percent).
"I think the identity of this team has to be on the defensive end," Pearl said. "Tonight we made 10 threes, and we had to because 2 pointers are tough to come by."
Pearl attributed the Tigers' strong finish to the team's conditioning in practice.
"I thought that our conditioning definitely showed late," Pearl said. "Our guys felt like they had more in the tank late."
Malcolm Canada and Shamsid-Deen finished with 10 points in the victory.
Shamburger led Missouri with 21 points, while Wes Clark contributed 16 points.
Auburn will head on the road to take on Florida (9-6, 2-0 SEC) on Thursday, Jan. 15. Tipoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT.

Share and discuss “Bowers powers Tigers to first SEC win of Pearl era” on social media.