Freshman Jones leads women's basketball to win at Vanderbilt

women's basketball

<p>Freshman #15 Jazmine Jones. Auburn vs. LSU at Auburn, AL. Ellen Jackson | Photographer</p>

Freshman #15 Jazmine Jones. Auburn vs. LSU at Auburn, AL. Ellen Jackson | Photographer

Women’s basketball has now won two straight games after defeating Vanderbilt 70-58 Thursday night, Feb. 26, in snowy Nashville, Tennessee, behind their highest-scoring SEC game of the year.

Four Auburn players reached double-figures, but none shined brighter than Jazmine Jones, who stepped up in a big way off the bench for the Tigers.

The freshman was nearly perfect offensively, pouring in a career-high 21-points on 10 of 11 shooting to go along with nine rebounds and three steals.

Brandy Montgomery added 16 points, and Katie Frerking finished with 13 points and was 7 for 7 from the free throw line.

Vanderbilt jumped out to an early 20-9 lead. However, the Tigers responded with a 21-6 run of their own to end the first half.

The Commodores hung around in the second half, but Auburn built a 10-point lead late to put the game out of reach.

In Auburn’s last win over Georgia on Sunday, Feb. 22, they forced the Bulldogs into 27 turnovers, and that defensive effort carried over into Memorial Gymnasium as the Tigers turned Vanderbilt over 21 times, resulting in 26 points.

Auburn hopes to carry the momentum into their regular season finale against the in state rival Alabama Crimson Tide on Sunday, Feb. 28. Senior Day ceremonies will begin at 1:45 p.m. and tip-off is set for 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “Freshman Jones leads women's basketball to win at Vanderbilt” on social media.