Women's Soccer shuts out state

false

Auburn has now won three of their last four matches while the team looks to improve their post-season resume. (C.J. Holmes l Sports Writer)

The Auburn Women's Soccer Team was able to avenge football's road loss to Mississippi State by shutting out the Bulldogs 2-0 Thursday night at the AU Soccer Complex.

Auburn has now won three of their last four matches while the team looks to improve their post-season resume.

It was a much-needed win for the Tigers and Coach Hoppa feels that her team is hitting their stride at the right time.

"Our goal is always to be playing our best soccer at the end of the year, and I feel like were doing that right now," Hoppa said. "This win keeps us in control of our own destiny. What we do will dictate if we make the SEC tournament and NCAA tournament. That's what we want, and now we have to get ready for a huge Alabama game."

Casie Ramsier got things started for the Tigers in the first half, finding the back of the net from 25-yards out.

After leading 1-0 at halftime, the Tigers came out firing on all cylinders in the second half. Tori Ball converted a dazzling sliding-kick on a breakaway that extended Auburns lead to 2-0.

"Hannah played a great ball down the line and it ended up just falling to my feet," Ball said, "I happened to put it away and beat the keeper to the near-post."

Auburn has never lost to Mississippi State at home and leads the all-time series 13-4-1.

The Tigers will now prepare to host Alabama in the "Iron Bowl of Soccer" to close out the regular season at home.

"We're always going to get pumped for the Iron Bowl," Casie Ramsier said, "especially for our seniors, its senior day and we really want to play for them knowing that it's their last Iron Bowl. We have to come out with everything we have."

Like any other Iron Bowl, Coach Hoppa expects a high-intensity game against their in-state rivals.

"They are a great team and they have been playing great soccer this year," Hoppa said. "They have played their was into a position that puts them in the post-season, so I actually think we are going into the game as an underdog. It's going to be an absolute brawl."

Last year, the Tigers defeated Alabama 1-0 to secure a spot in the SEC Tournament. The match will begin at 3 p.m. central time at the AU Soccer Complex.

Share and discuss “Women's Soccer shuts out state” on social media.