LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Response to student media restructuring

Letter to the Editor,

On Thursday, April 2, The Plainsman announced the new plan to transfer Student Media from the Office of Student Affairs to the Office of Communication and Marketing. Despite the glaring red flag of categorizing journalistic organizations in the “marketing” department, this seemed like a fairly innocuous move. However, the deception and disrespect that occurred in this process will mar this change and rightly so.

Students and staff alike were kept in the dark about decisions that concerned their work, their passions and, ultimately, their futures.

“We believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which we cannot win the respect and confidence of our fellow men.”

I call bullshit.

Some of the employees who have now lost their jobs so unceremoniously have served this student body and University for years. I would not be where I am today without their guidance, their insight, their expertise and their patience in training up the next generation of journalists, writers, photographers, editors, anchors, camera people and artists.

I understand that change is inevitable, no matter the amount of sentiment or emotion. However, these people were shut out of decisions that deeply affected their lives and careers. Is this how Auburn men and women treat their co-workers? If so, I want no affiliation.

Additionally, a cursory “review” five years ago as well as a couple office visits are nowhere near enough to understand the scale of work that goes into The Plainsman, "The Glomerata," Eagle Eye, WEGL and "The Circle." As an employee of both The Plainsman and "The Circle" during my time at Auburn, I was constantly amazed at how much work it takes to maintain and produce the content of Student Media.

The arrogance of the administration to assume they know what is best for these organizations without including all stakeholders in decisions regarding space, staffing, location and organization is insulting.

Adding salt to the wound were the comical reasons for the abrupt upheaval. Please don’t patronize the students, staff and alumni. We’re not buying that the reason for lack of cohesiveness is the furniture or the space. We’re smarter than that. Please treat us like the adults we are. Also, letting most of your beloved staff go is not going to accomplish the “cohesiveness” you claim Student Media lacks. Quite the opposite.

The way upper administration has treated the students and staff who have served Student Affairs for so many years (for many, while they paid money TO the University) is abhorrent. I’m ashamed at the way this movement went, and I strongly urge the Office of Student Affairs to reassess and consider the people they work for. If this is indicative of the way Auburn University makes its decisions regarding staff and student welfare, I do not believe in Auburn nor do I love it. #FreeThePlainsman #AndAllofStudentMedia

-Ashley Miller, ’14 

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Response to student media restructuring ” on social media.