Lipscomb named to All-SEC team

Tigers’ right-handed pitcher Cole Lipscomb was named to the All-SEC second team, the SEC announced Monday, May 18.

Lipscomb is the first Auburn pitcher named to the All-SEC first or second team since Steven Register in 2004.

“This is a great honor for Cole,” coach Sunny Golloway said. “He’s a terrific young man that has had a tremendous season. To be named one of the four best starting pitchers in this league is a great honor for him. I’m really proud of him.”

Lipscomb finished with a 7-2 record in the 2015 regular season with a 2.38 ERA, the third lowest in the conference.

“I didn’t even know that I was in the running for this award, so this is pretty cool,” Lipscomb said. “There are some really great pitchers in this league, so this feels good. It’s been a long journey since I had Tommy John surgery and I’ve put in a lot of work on the mound. It was a tough year last year with all the rehab to get back to 100 percent. This feels really good and is really rewarding to receive this honor.”

A native of Prattville, Lipscomb leads Auburn’s pitching staff with 75 strikeouts and 79 and one-third innings pitched. He has seven quality starts on the year and victories over top-10 opponents Florida and Oklahoma State.

Share and discuss “Lipscomb named to All-SEC team ” on social media.