Men’s golf finishes seventh in first round of NCAA Lubbock Regional

The No. 7 Auburn men’s golf team carded a 4-under 280 and ended the day in seventh place concluding the NCAA Lubbock Regional first round at The Rawls Course on Thursday, May 14.

Junior All-SEC Michael Johnson led the Tigers with a 2-under 69 and is tied for 13th. Sophomores in All-SEC Matt Gilchrest and Ryan Benton are tied for 21st at 1-under 70. Gilchrest fired a 4-under 32 on the back nine while Benton was 3-under on the front nine.

Senior Dan Stringfellow is tied for 35th at even par 71 while All-SEC freshman Ben Schlottman is tied for 68th with a 76.

“We didn’t have our best stuff today and didn’t have all five of our guys in it early,” said Auburn coach Nick Clinard. “Ben [Schlottman] struggled a little bit, but he is a big-time player and will be there for us the next two days.

The top five teams and one individual qualify for the 119th NCAA Men’s Golf Championship in Bradenton, Florida, May 29-June 3.

“We are in good shape," Clinard said. "We just didn’t play as well as we wanted to today. We have a great team, and we are looking forward to tomorrow morning and looking forward to getting started.”

Auburn will continue play in Friday’s second round on No. 10 at 8 a.m. with Louisville and Southeastern Louisiana. The Tigers will end play on Saturday, May 16.

Share and discuss “Men’s golf finishes seventh in first round of NCAA Lubbock Regional ” on social media.