Buddy Mondlock performs at Auburn Unitarian Universalist Fellowship

Gentle, melodic guitar music filled the Auburn Unitarian Universalist Fellowship on Friday, July 31. But the songs weren't hymns and it wasn't a church service.

"It's kinda nice singing in a church, isn't it?" said Buddy Mondlock, who performed at the church as part of the Sundilla Acoustic Concert Series.

Mondlock performed alongside his longtime friend, Mike Lindauer, who played bass guitar.

The series is run by a volunteer board of directors, which puts on approximately 12 concerts per year. 

Bailey Jones, who booked Mondlock, said he has been a fan of Mondlock's for several years.

"He's just so highly regarded as a songwriter by other songwriters that it's hard not to like him," Jones said.

Mondlock's songs have been covered by artists such as Peter, Paul and Mary and Garth Brooks.

The show drew approximately 70 people, according to Jones.

Mondlock said he played at the church approximately 10 years ago. He said he was happy to return to the venue.

"I don't know, I just feel like there's a lot of good feeling soaked into the wood in this church," Mondlock said. "This is what I live for, is to do concerts like this."

He said he was "thrilled" with his performance.

"I just feel like [the audience is] right there with me," Mondlock said.

Ralph Banks is a season ticket owner for the concert series, and has been attending the concerts for approximately seven years. He said he likes Sundilla because it offers music that isn't as widely available.

"It's a venue where we can see original singer-songwriter acts, and it is a way of supporting that type of music and that talent that I think is very important," Banks said. "You see all those things that you won't necessarily get on the radio, although now there's a Sundilla radio hour every Thursday night."

Banks said he has never seen a bad Sundilla show.

"It's wonderful that in a little place like Auburn, we can get people like (Mondlock) every time," Banks said.

Share and discuss “Buddy Mondlock performs at Auburn Unitarian Universalist Fellowship” on social media.