Art students' work from Rome trip to be displayed

During the summer, 16 students spent five weeks in Rome, Italy on an art history study abroad trip. Their work will be displayed Wednesday, Oct. 14-Friday, Oct. 23 at Fieldwork Projects, a new extension of the department of art and art history, next to Mama Mocha’s Coffee Emporium and Roasters. 

Viewers can see the exhibit Wednesday-Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The students who studied abroad earned six credit hours, three in art history and three in studio art class. 

Shannon Bewley, senior in art history with a sculpture concentration and minor in German, attended the program. 

“We never really sit in a classroom," Bewley said. "Usually you’re out in the city talking and drawing and learning about art." 

The exhibit will not only feature the students work while they were in Rome, but also mementos, photos and souvenirs found during their stay. 

Five student artists will be featured along with seven students’ sketchbooks.

“It’s great because everyone’s work is different," Bewley said. "My work is drawings in pen and pencils with watercolor and pressed flowers." 

Catherine Root, senior in fine arts and biomedical sciences, said she will display five watercolors and her sketchbook. 

During her time in Rome, Root said she gained cultural experience. 

"I particularly enjoyed the contrast between cultures," Root said. "Italy is a lot older than the U.S., and most of Western art is directly descended from Italian Renaissance art."  

She said the students' lectures in Rome were held in a beautiful palace which was almost distracting. 

"We had art history lectures in a giant dining hall with frescoes everywhere and 8-foot fireplaces," Root said.

The closing event held Friday, Oct. 23 from 5 p.m.-6 p.m. will provide drinks and snacks and an opportunity to talk with students about their work and experience.  

There will be an informational meeting about the program at 6 p.m. All students regardless of major are available to take part in the study abroad trip. 

Share and discuss “Art students' work from Rome trip to be displayed” on social media.