Auburn wins U.S. Collegiate Championship

Playing in its first tournament since being named the No. 1 team in the nation by Golfstat.com, the Auburn men’s golf team captured its second win of the fall season on Sunday, tying for first at the U.S. Collegiate Championship at the Golf Club of Georgia.

Auburn shot a 3-under 285 in each round, even with No. 5 Wake Forest at a 855 team score over three days.

Junior Will Long captured the first individual win of his Auburn career, tying with three others at 6-under 210.

“I knew I could do it, it was just matter of time," Long said. "I’m just really pumped about the win. It shows a lot about how I’ve progressed as a player … Hopefully it will be the first of many.”

Senior Michael Johnson tied for fifth at 5-under, while freshman Jacob Solomon tied for 18th with an even score.

Auburn recorded its 19th win under coach Nick Clinard at the event, which hosted seven of the nation’s top 10 teams.

“I’m really proud of the guys,” Clinard said. “We didn’t really have our best stuff all week, but the guys hung in there and made up a lot of ground coming down the stretch in those last six or seven holes. They gave ourselves a chance to win, and we did.”

Auburn will conclude its fall schedule at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate in Dallas, Texas, Oct. 26-27.

Share and discuss “Auburn wins U.S. Collegiate Championship” on social media.