OPINION: Gender stereotypes are only harming ourselves

For as long as I can remember there have been unwritten rules we must follow in order to not appear different. In America, any differences from the norm are seen as weakness, not strength. And unfortunately, the ultimate judgment people get for being unique actually comes from our peers.

Why is it that the people who should most understand us are the ones with the most negative comments?

Gender stereotypes are not helpful; belittling a person for not fitting into your idea of who they should be can be harmful. Men and women both experience the negative impacts of gender stereotypes.

In the South if a man cares too much about how he looks, or if he gets too emotional, it usually means someone will try to make fun of him. According to these illusive gender rules, because the characteristics are typically feminine, that means that men cannot also act this way. Though something to remember, these rude people won’t be able to explain to you why they are scared of differences, at least not with an effective argument. It is not wrong to be different; it would be extremely boring if everyone thought and acted the same just because of gender.

I’m sure everyone has heard the strong woman stereotype. If a woman is assertive and powerful, just like her male counterpart, she is seen in a negative way. Women are taught from a young age to be seen and not heard. Historically to be masculine is to be the one in charge, but there is no reason why this is still an ideal.

A person’s gender does not determine their personality. Many American people still do not want a woman president because of how “emotional” they can be. All the while, ignoring that today more woman are graduating from college and subsequently going into the workforce, and there is a greater female population in this country. More women are being educated, yet men hold the overwhelming majority of high-ranking positions. Women do not see themselves represented; therefore many are less likely to put themselves out there, afraid of failure.

Both genders become lesser versions of themselves under these stereotypes. Americans are missing out on positive change because the citizens are afraid of being different, because being different means to be judged.

There is a reason people who break the mold are talked about more than people who follow it. For everyone to live their fullest, most effective lives the stereotypical ideas need to end. Do not continue to be the same; uniqueness is valuable. 

Share and discuss “OPINION: Gender stereotypes are only harming ourselves” on social media.