All good things must come to an end

In sports, coaches and their staff are the key exemplifiers of leadership, but we often find they cannot lead their students around the clock. The players, followers of the coaching leadership, have to step up and become leaders themselves. Being a veteran athlete doesn't always mean taking care of yourself, it means taking care of others.

For senior Logan Beal of the Auburn soccer team, leadership duties came with seniority. In four years at Auburn, she learned from other groups of seniors how to be an example to her team. 

"I know that I wouldn’t have come through without the older girls that mentored me, so I really just tried to be there for a lot of the young girls," Beal said. "Text them, see how things were going, have little lunches with them and stuff just to see that everything was OK with them and make sure they’re getting through it all.”

The forward and Plano, Texas native majoring in undeclared Sciences and Math was apart of the first team in Auburn soccer program history to make it to the Sweet 16 this year. When interviewed before the start of the season Beal and the other "power four" consisting of Sophie Simantel, Haley Gerken and Kala Faulkner were set on taking the team all the way to Sweet 16, and they did. Beal played 23 games this season, logging nine starts and 1,123 minutes.

“It’s kind of scary and overwhelming. I’ve been playing soccer for 18 years so for it to all come to end is nerve wracking," said the senior. "I’m not sure how I’m going to be without it, I don’t think it’s really hit me yet.”

For Beal, leaving won't be easy. This year she helped lead a group of 11 freshman to their first SEC tournament and postseason run, scoring three goals with two assists. Being a mentor doesn't always come naturally, though. Beal spent most of her time on the soccer field at Auburn, learning under the direction of head coach Karen Hoppa. 

"She's taught me perseverance and determination and to keep working for my dreams," said Beal. "Just starting from a freshman and being a senior now, I've grown so much, and I credit her with a lot of that."

Graduating in December, Beal plans to head back home to Texas where she will get her certified medical assistant's license, working as that until she can apply for Physician Assistant school in April. Open to leading beyond Auburn, Beal says if given the opportunity, she would offer private lessons or coaching to young soccer players.

"Leaving my friends and everyone, it's going to be hard not seeing them everyday," she said on venturing away from the Plains. Beal has learned in her years at Auburn to hold on to your dreams and pursue them, as she advises other athletes. 

"Keep pursuing your dreams," said Beal. "Be leaders on and off the field."

Share and discuss “All good things must come to an end” on social media.