Letter from the Editor: Politics is the story of us

A lot of people think politics is dirty, boring and all about power.

Politics can be those things, but in the United States, politics is more than who has power.

Politics is the way we work with people with whom we share a common cause, but disagree with on the course of that cause.

It’s the story we tell about ourselves and whom we think we are.

This year, politics has come to a presidential election year, so more attention than normal is focused on the political world.

Lost in the breaking news alerts about the latest presidential hopeful’s Snapchat snafu is the political contest that will actually make a difference in your life.

Local government, state government and your representative in Congress have a great day-to-day influence on your life.

From traffic regulations to Medicaid expansions, your city and state government can find a number of ways to ruin your day.

For these reasons, The Auburn Plainsman has put together a political guide for the March 1 primary.

We’re taking our focus away from the presidential competitions and putting it on the races that will have the biggest influences on Auburn students and our community.

If you’ve registered to vote on Tuesday, March 1, you will have the chance to vote in the Republican or Democratic primaries. The reason you’ll probably go will be to “feel the Bern” or “make America great again,” but you may wonder about the other names you’ll see.

We’ve reached out to almost every politician running for an office in Alabama whom a student registered to vote in Auburn will have a chance to vote for. Not all got back to us, but most did.

And we get into a little of the national races with a look at the Democratic and Republican primaries.

We also talked to one politician who isn’t up for election but still has an interesting story to tell — although he couldn’t comment on the felony ethics charges against him.

So take some time to read these stories to learn about the other names on the ballot.

To know their story is to learn their politics. Hopefully it will help you decide what story you want to tell about yourself.

Jim can be reached at editor@ThePlainsman.com.

Share and discuss “Letter from the Editor: Politics is the story of us” on social media.