COLUMN: Auburn, don't stone me for this

In today’s society, it doesn’t take a philosophical discussion or a heartfelt conversation to dive into the topic of drug use.

To my surprise, the conversation is seemingly as common as a cliché mention of the weather or what a certain person is studying in school.

An unpopular opinion in the college setting is one that does not favor the recreational use of marijuana. Being one that stands to defend said opinion, I’ve noticed much of the population who partake in illegally smoking marijuana are those who do not have the ambition or knowledge to truly defend their stance.

I’ve heard a multitude of cases for the recreational use of marijuana, but I cannot advocate for something that played a part in destroying the ambition of my fellow friends.

When it comes to hot issues, the recreational use of marijuana triumphs in first place as the most controversial topic among all ages.

The conversation has been worn to the bone, so most Americans consider themselves knowledgeable on at least one side of the argument.

Being politically uninformed is acceptable, but knowing your illegal substances is clearly common knowledge.

We are in no need of any external forces making us lazier than we already are. We are given every outlet for procrastination that could possibly come to mind. So why do we need another chemical to reduce productivity?

Sidenote: I am aware that not all smokers are slackers. Not all alcohol drinkers are alcoholics. It solely depends on the person and their level of self-control.

To be successful, one has to work. Dopamine is the chemical responsible for motivation. After frequently smoking, the body comes to expect the increased levels of dopamine released while high.

The body simply can’t compensate for this lack of dopamine naturally. And so, people chase the high. A psychological dependency is formed.

Marijuana and its effects are not taken as seriously as they should be. I’ve never heard of a Pothead’s Anonymous, despite the fact that it can have an effect on someone’s job and personal life.

I’ve heard proponents speak on marijuana’s innocence based on its herbal nature. Are you going to smoke poison ivy since you can find it on the forest floor? I would hope not.

Humans have the right to what nature offers, and marijuana has proven valuable in some medical instances, but getting high for the heck of it is not a valuable use. I cannot stand behind something that saws away at the chances of living the “American Dream.” Marijuana has taken a toll on the lives of many whom I consider close to me, and the cringeworthy results fostered my hate for everything Mary Jane-related.

“I believe in work, hard work,” George Petrie wrote. This line, taken from the Auburn Creed, made me fall for Auburn from the beginning. I would hate to see weed take away the passion of my fellow Auburn students.

In the end, you live the life you desire to live, and that includes what you decide to put in your body.

You are not in control of the boss who fires you for dropping the ball on an assignment.

You are not in control of law enforcement when they lock your wrists for lighting up and read you your rights.

You are in control of avoiding what leads you to disaster, and in my experience, marijuana is what will fail you.

Lily can be reached at community@ThePlainsman.com

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Auburn, don't stone me for this” on social media.