Auburn fails to capitalize on late opportunity, drops game at Ole Miss, 6-4

Auburn traveled to Oxford, Mississippi, Friday evening to take on Ole Miss in the first game of a three-game series. In what was an intense game, the Tigers came up short, falling by a score of 6-4.

Auburn standout Niko Buentello recorded his ninth home run of the season to tie the game at 2 apiece in the sixth inning. Jordan Ebert and Anfernee Grier added two hits to Auburn’s team total of 10 hits.

“Niko Buentello hit a big one," said Auburn coach Butch Thompson. "We were scrambling to get back in there and he hits one out to draw us back even. Cole pitched great tonight. We mixed in some more change ups tonight and I think they really only hit two balls hard. We were in there right until the last out. We had a chance and that’s the hump we’ve got to get over.”

Junior pitcher Cole Lipscomb got the start for the Tigers and allowed only two runs in six innings. The majority of the Rebels' runs came off of relief pitcher Gabe Klobosits, who now drops to 2-3 on the season. Klobosits allowed all of the runs in the seventh, coming from four 2-out hits, an error, and a walk.

Auburn entered the eighth inning down 6-2, but the Tigers showed some fight. Jackson Burgreen brought in one run with a sac fly.

In the ninth inning the Tigers loaded the bases, down 6-3, but they could only bring in one run.

Ole Miss pitcher Brady Feigl got the win and improves the 3-0. The series resumes on Saturday at 2 p.m. The game can be watched on the SEC Network. 

Share and discuss “Auburn fails to capitalize on late opportunity, drops game at Ole Miss, 6-4” on social media.