Early lead not enough as Auburn drops series to No. 14 LSU

Offense showed up but fell short as Auburn dropped the finale of the series against No. 14 LSU, 10-5, Sunday at Plainsman Park.

Auburn is hitting second in the SEC. The Tigers scored 19 runs in the three-game series against LSU, but were unable to take the series.

After LSU scored one run in the first, Auburn responded with three runs of its own in the bottom of the inning. Anfernee Grier went 3-for-5 and scored Auburn's first run on a passed ball by LSU starting pitcher John Valek III. A double by Jordan Ebert scored Joshua Palacios from second, and a sacrifice fly from Blake Logan scored Ebert to put Auburn up 3-1.

LSU's Beau Jordan added two runs with a 2-RBI home run in the second to tie the game at three. LSU took the lead again in the fifth inning, scoring three runs to make it 6-3.

Auburn responded with two runs in the sixth inning. Joshua Palacios hit a leadoff solo home run for his fifth of the season. Cody Nulph walked with the bases loaded to bring Ebert home and cut Auburn's deficit to 6-5.

LSU scored three more runs in the seventh and one in the eighth, adding insurance to its lead. LSU improved to 18-9 overall, 4-5 in the SEC.

"We've been here five months now," said Auburn coach Butch Thompson. "I have to do a better job putting our guys in a position, giving them a chance to win an SEC series."

Ebert and Logan both had two hits. Palacios and Ebert both scored two runs for Auburn.

"I wish i had put them in a better position because they played so hard for us," Thompson said.

Auburn starting pitcher Andrew Mitchell (L, 4-1) pitched four innings. He allowed five hits and gave up six runs — four earned — walking one and striking out two. LSU's starting pitcher, Valek (W, 5-1), allowed six hits and gave up five runs, four earned, in 5.1 innings pitched. Valek walked one and struck out three.

Auburn returns to Plainsman Park to play Georgia State Tuesday.

Share and discuss “Early lead not enough as Auburn drops series to No. 14 LSU” on social media.