Student counseling services

Last year, as issues related to mental health continued to surface on Auburn's campus and Student Counseling Services came under fire for long waits and unpublicized resources, University administration and the student government began to explore how to improve the University's resources for students' mental health needs.

The SGA and the University administration commissioned a Task Force on Student Mental Health to determine how the University could better provide and publicize for resources and support on campus.

The report released earlier this year found the University was ranked near the bottom when compared to schools of similar size.

"It is important to note that the Task Force found that Auburn University currently ranks at or near the bottom with regard to the number of mental health counselors," the report stated. "Therefore, it is imperative that the University’s administration begin to proactively address critical needs and prevent, to the extent possible, future crises."

The report utilized 22 focus groups and a survey released to the student body close in November to determine a set of recommendations, which the Task Force submitted to administration in December 2015 and released to the public in April.

To provide better mental health resources for students, the Task Force recommended increasing the number of mental health counselors on campus to 12 full-time providers and three full-time psychiatrists.

"Auburn students have indicated that the location of existing counseling services and available times present a barrier to seeking treatment, in addition to the need for immediate/walk-in mental health services," the report said.

The new staff would help to alleviate those issues, according to the report, as well as placing staff more strategically on campus.

Additionally, the Task Force recommended hosting three to four pre-doctoral interns every year as well as hiring two full-time health promotion and wellness services substance abuse providers, one full-time interpersonal violence prevention provider and three more health outreach and communication employees.

If the recommendations are followed and the University hires the new providers, the ratio of one provider to 2,159 students — much above the recommended ratio — would be decreased to nearly one provider to 1,040 students — below the recommended ratio.

Today, only Alabama, Tennessee and Michigan State have worse ratios. The increase would move Auburn from the bottom of the list when compared to similar colleges to near the top.

Minority student organizations on campus, including the Black Student Union and Spectrum, have called for a more diverse counseling staff. The report agreed in its recommendations.

"It is imperative that Auburn’s counseling services strive to become more culturally diverse in order to more effectively address the unique mental health and wellness needs of subgroups of students, including minority, Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transsexual/Queer (LGBTQ), international, and interfraternity students," the report said.

The report also recommended creating an institution statement to highlight the campus' commitment to student mental health, creating a standing University committee on mental health, performing campus-wide educational campaigns, faculty training and establishing a 24-hour suicide crisis hotline.

Chip is a member of the Student Government Association.

Share and discuss “Student counseling services” on social media.