Auburn to help provide education in prisons

The Alabama Prison Arts and Education Project is currently developing new framework and infrastructure in light of Auburn University being selected to participate in the Second Chance Pell pilot program.

“There will be a whole new process for bringing these students in,” said Kyes Stevens, the founder and director of APAEP.

She said APAEP currently has open enrollment for all incarcerated individuals.

Stevens said 20 students will be accepted into the program in 2017. Each year they will be adding more students, following the guidelines of the national model.

According to the U.S. Department of Education, incarcerated individuals who otherwise meet Title IV eligibility requirements and are eligible for release, particularly within the next five years, could access Pell Grants to pursue postsecondary education and training.

“They will have to meet educational requirements met by the University,” Stevens said. “In building credit-granting classes we will start students basically at a freshman level class. And the following years they will be taking more specific classes.”

Diana Eidson, an assistant professor in English, is hoping to teach these incarcerated students next year.

“They were very enthusiastic and anxious to learn,” Eidson said. “I was pleased with the results and the progress they made.”

Eidson taught a writing class for APAEP at Julia Tutwiler Prison for Women this past spring. They read various genres of creative nonfiction. They also studied things like grammar and style on the way.

“Stevens and I are collecting data right now to see what are the academic needs of the students,” Eidson said. “We want to find out what courses would meet those needs.”

Eidson also mentioned the best the students can do, even if they are there at APAEP, is receive a continuing education credit.

“Education is one of the few things that has been proven to reduce recidivism,” Eidson said. “These are incredibly intelligent human beings that I've worked with. They are great people. They are incredibly polite, funny, resourceful, and one of a kind.”

Share and discuss “Auburn to help provide education in prisons” on social media.