Jovon Robinson dismissed from team

Auburn running back Jovon Robinson was absent from the team's first practice of fall camp and has been dismissed from the program, head coach Gus Malzahn announced Wednesday.

Robinson "did not meet my standards," according to Malzahn. "I'll just say that this year there will be no distractions." 

Malzahn gave no details as to why the dismissal came about, saying "it's just between me and him." 

An MVP at last year's Birmingham Bowl with his 126-yard performance, Robinson was the assumed starting running back for the Tigers with 639 yards and three touchdowns last season.

This Robinson's second time being dismissed from Auburn. Players were unaware of why the running back was dismissed. 

"It's tough but at the end of the day we have to respect what's going on as far as what coach Malzahn," receiver Marcus Davis said. "Right now I feel like the team is in a good place because of the offseason we had and the brotherhood we (developed)."

Robinson arrived at Auburn as a signee out of high school in the summer of 2012, but was declared ineligible by the NCAA when it was discovered a grade on his transcript at Wooddale High School  in Memphis, Tennessee, was changed. One week later he left the Plains and enrolled Georgia Military College, where he rushed for 3,198 yards and 43 touchdowns in two seasons before rejoining the Tigers in 2015.

"I’m just supporting coach Malzahn’s decision," offensive lineman Austin Golson said. "I don’t really get into all that stuff. But I know he did the right thing because I trust him as a coach and I trusted him last year. As long as I know I trust him I don’t have any problem with what he decides."

The Plainsman will continue to update this story.

Share and discuss “Jovon Robinson dismissed from team” on social media.