UPDATE: Officials arrest high school student in relation to clown threats

Officials arrested a Beauregard high school student in connection to a clown threat incident directed at local schools earlier today, officials said.

At about 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, officials arrested the 16-year-old female student, who's name is being withheld because she is a minor, in Beauregard following a joint investigation by the Lee County Sheriff’s Office and the Opelika Police Department, officials said.

The student faces multiple counts of terrorist threats, a Class C felony, involving three schools in the Beauregard community and Opelika High School, a Lee County Sheriff's Office release said.

Opelika City Schools were placed on lockdown today after receiving threats from a so-called "Kaleb the Clown" directed at Opelika High School, Opelika police said today.

School officials and Opelika police said earlier today they were aware of threats that were made toward the Opelika City School System and the Lee County School System. There were threatening posts made on social media, as well.

Auburn City Schools were not placed on lockdown but said they were taking precautionary measures to ensure the safety of students.

The student in custody will be held in the juvenile detention facility pending a hearing in Lee County Juvenile Court, officials said. A terrorist threats offense is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and up to a $ 15,000 fine for an adult convicted of the offense. 

Anyone with information should call the Investigative Services Division of the OPD at 334-705-5220 or the Lee County Sheriff's Office Investigations Division at 334-737-7143.

Share and discuss “UPDATE: Officials arrest high school student in relation to clown threats” on social media.