Parks and Rec kicks off Fall Sundown Concert Series

Over the past two week, the Auburn Parks and Recreation department began its fall sundown concert series. 

The free series will continue every Thursday in September and October from 6–7:30 p.m. at Kiesel Park in Auburn with a new band playing at every date. Attendees are advised to bring a blanket or chairs to sit on and encouraged to bring their pets, as long as they are on leashes.

This is the 18th year of the concert series, with the exception of last year.

Dana Stewart, special program coordinator for the series, said she received multiple emails and phone calls about last year's gap.

“Lots of people called and emailed asking why the concerts had been canceled and if they were coming back,” she said. “So as long as there is in interest in the concert series, they will continue. There's nothing like a concert in the park before a home game.

"It’s also important to provide citizens in Auburn free, family-oriented outdoor events."

She said roughly 100–200 people are usually in attendance with the crowd ranging from college students, to the elderly, to full families, all listening to a local band play. 

Soul Co., a mixed genre band, played at the concert's first night on Sept. 15 event. Last week, local musician Trace Pridgen headlined the show. 

Stewart said she expected a larger turnout for this date, since Soul Co. has a sizable following. The bands booked for the concert that day have usually played previous dates before that, or contacted Stewart directly if they want to be booked.

Other bands booked for future concert dates include the Tony Brook Band, Black Berry Possum, Alabama Avenue, Rexton Lee and Electric Rangers. The bands cover multiple genres of music so there is “something for everyone,” Stewart said. 

All concerts are weather permitting.

The full list of concert dates as well the bands playing can be found on the Auburn Parks and Recreation website.

Share and discuss “Parks and Rec kicks off Fall Sundown Concert Series” on social media.