University Housing and Residence Life set goals for new housing

The Department of University Housing and Residence Life (UHRL) is preparing to a set a plan in place allowing the option for all first-year students to have on-campus housing.

Julie Huff, director of strategic initiatives and communication, said it would never be mandatory for first-year students to live on campus, though there are many benefits in doing so, such as proximity.

“You are close to where you’re learning,” Huff said. “You are in walking distance from the library, the Wellness Center or campus events.You are kind of in the heart of where things happen, the pulse of the community.”

Living in the dorms gives students more direct access to academic support and helps them to foster social skills by living with roommates, Huff said.

“There are a lot of learning communities and co-curricular activities,” Huff said. “There is a lot of retention based programing in the residence halls that is provided, so it gives first year students a lot more access to resources.”

Huff said the University can use on-campus housing as a way to engage diverse groups of students from different backgrounds to participate in the unique shared experience of living in a college dorm.

The University and UHRL have worked strategically to conceptualize what new housing should look like, Huff said.

Kevin Hoult, director of university housing and residence life, said the department’s shortterm goal is to increase the number of on-campus beds by 1,000.

“In conjunction with facilities management, we have initiated the process of obtaining a project architect and construction manager for the development of new student housing,” Hoult said.

The University has engaged with outside firms in the past to develop a surveys assessing whether housing was a determining factor in a student’s decision to come to Auburn or not, according to Huff. 

Huff said various focus groups participated to determine what type of housing students prefer.

“Our long term goals will be examined through a large scale study conducted by Brailsford and Dunlavey (B&D), an Atlanta based program management and facility planning firm, which will analyze current and future on-campus housing trends,” Hoult said. “The study will help set the roadmap for strategically replacing the Hill residence halls and enhancing the overall on-campus living experience.”

Huff said the University does not want to  build all the new dorms at one time, causing more students to be without housing.

Auburn believes in “safety over convenience” and providing a safe living environment, Huff said.

“Currently, each residence hall is equipped with card reader door access and cameras,” Hoult said. “Any new student housing facilities will also include the same security measures and possibly more.”

Hoult said the University values its students and strives to offer the best on-campus living experience possible.

“We are motivated to enhance our business, strategic, and master plan to meet the changing financial, physical, and developmental needs of the department of university housing and residence life,” Hoult said.

Share and discuss “University Housing and Residence Life set goals for new housing” on social media.