COLUMN: Don't think Greek, think 'me'

Elected officials work to represent each individual to the best of their ability, no matter the scale of the election. Most people would have never allowed someone the right to force their vote one way or the other in the past presidential election.

SGA elections should not stray from this trend, and yet, Auburn's Greek Organizations have been notorious for voting in blocks based on each individual fraternities and sororities' choice of candidate. 

Overheard in the echo-prone halls of Haley was a conversation between two females pledges, discussing their forced campaign responsibilities. Their affiliation with said candidate? Sorority endorsement. 

This is similar to the widely known issue of voters sticking to their declared party despite the candidate. This devout allegiance is admirable, but can profit irrational decisions of little foundation. Voting within party lines without research can mean voting for a platform that contradicts your personal beliefs.  

Although it is hugely beneficial to candidates that these herds of unconcerned voters pledge their allegiance and loud concourse voices to the crowd, I'd make the assumption that deep down they stand for individuality and personal choice. 

Almost every candidate conveyed a desire to hear from students while standing behind carpeted podiums at the final debate on Monday night. Hearing one voice in the name of hundreds doesn't seem like what they had in mind. 

If your organization encourages you to vote for the platform and candidate that you resonate with the most, good on them. 

If you were one in a zombie-like crowd of Comfort Color tees screaming a catchy slogan for a required time slot, consider your campus. Find individuality, personal interests and a cause that you identify with and fight for it. 

Our voting habits begin on a level as local as a collegiate election. I urge all students to take hold of their voice and refuse to be muzzled. 

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Don't think Greek, think 'me'” on social media.