COLUMN: A professor's insight to dealing with bad grades

It's been said plenty of times before, but adjusting to college is hard. All of the new sights, sounds and social norms — it's all a lot to take in and adjust to. 

You are going to make a bad grade in college, we all do. It just kind of comes with the territory. Whether it's because your professor purposely stumped you or because you were out at Q's with a drink in hand until closing time, this will happen.

I sat down with Eminent Scholar Paula Backscheider and asked what advice she would have for students who have made a bad grade. 

"College is all about reactions," said Backscheider.

She urges students not to let the little things get to them. Every student will make a bad grade, every student will have a bad day, but how they choose to react could be the difference between success and failure, she said.

"Sooner or later, you will get a grade that disappoints you," Backscheider said. "How you learn to react is important for your success."

When it comes to making that dreaded bad grade, Backscheider suggested that students try to figure out what they needed to do better and could have done differently. From there, they can analyze how to either do better next time, or how to re-do the assignment should the teacher allow it.

"Go to see the professor and ask how you can prepare more effectively," Backscheider said. "First, that will show you are motivated.  Second, you will learn more about college expectations."

She said that by approaching your professor, you are showing dedication and commitment to your work, which will make the professor more likely to help you out. She also said that by asking your professor for help, you will be able to prepare for the future and already know what they will expect for next time.

No matter what happens, Backscheider said, reacting and staying prepared for the next assignment is the key to staying successful and not letting one bad grade throw you off.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: A professor's insight to dealing with bad grades” on social media.