Google employees host two-day event in Shelby

Computer science majors and software engineers eagerly awaited the visit from Google, as representatives from the company and AU Engineering alums came give a two-day presentation in the Shelby Center of the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering.

Speakers of the first day's event included recent Auburn graduates Aaron Fregeau, Devin Broaden, and William Hester who have been hired by Google. Fregeau and Broaden graduated with a degree in Software Engineering, and Hester graduated with his degree in Computer Science.

The presentation began with the speakers quizzing the audience on Google trivia and those who answered correctly were awarded Google-themed socks.

Each speaker took a turn describing his experience of working at Google, using Google software and Google slides to support the presentation. 

The speakers shared what the average work day is like for Google employees, the tasks they are assigned and what some Google’s goals. They said how they became Google employees and gave tips on what to expect and do when applying for a job at Google. 

Questions from the audience were encouraged throughout the presentation, and different speakers would take time answering them.

The second event of the series was a programming competition open for all who came. Many of the programmers who had attended the lecture returned excited to compete and program. When asked what he was hoping for at the competition, one programmer said, "learn, maybe win."

Participants were given an hour and a half to write programs which would do particular tasks. There was an easy and a hard competition depending on the programmer's skill level. Each contestant was awarded points according to how long it took him or her to create the programs and how well the program worked, and the contestants with the most points won.

Despite some delays from technical difficulties, the competition ended a little before 9. Jediael Fraser placed highest in the Easy Gauntlet, and Julien Legault was the top scorer for the Hard Gauntlet. Prizes ranging from stuffed Android bots to Google Home Devices were given out to the competitors. 

"I'm really glad that, you know, we get to do this, it makes us better at programming skills and better for job interviews," Brandon Morris said after he placed second in the Hard Gauntlet.

Share and discuss “Google employees host two-day event in Shelby” on social media.