Auburn students prefer hip-hop and country over other music genres, recent poll concludes

The song your'e listening to on the way to class says a lot about you

Auburn University is home to over 28,000 students. That’s thousands of young adults trying to find a sense of identity. Music is a universal remedy for the soul, and is often used as a break from reality.  College is the hub for establishing taste in music that they’ll listen to the rest of their lives.

Several digital music platforms exist, among some of the most notable are Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, Soundcloud and Spinrilla. Through the process of interviewing, statistics review, and collaboration with the psychology department, the students’ music habits were revealed.

85 percent of university students consider themselves avid music listeners. Everything from 44 bars by Logic, to Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, all the way to Bollywood Indian music can be heard throughout the campus of Auburn University.

A poll was conducted through face to face interviews September 12-15, 2017 among a random sample of 200 university students. Data collection was conducted by The Auburn Plainsman. Students were targeted if they were walking on campus with headphones in. All students were applicable. Results are based on all people interviewed.

“What I listen to depends mostly on my mood or what activities I’m doing,” said supply chain management major Reeves Thackston.

The power that music holds speaks for itself. 55 percent of students prefer pop over all other music genres. While searching for a game-day polo in the bookstore, student Taylor Kyser was listening to “G to the A,” by Kodak Black.

Auburn University students listen to country music two times as much as any other college. About 25 percent of the student population enjoy country music. Thomas Rhett’s new album “Life Changes” has won the hearts of almost every southern belle.

“Pretty much just the whole album is great," said Jessica Snead. "I love every song. He’s such a sweetheart, and how he treats his wife is so adorable.”  

Electronic Dance Music, otherwise known as EDM, is an up and coming genre of music that’s drawing a lot of attention. 20 percent of students are listening to EDM on the way to class. There’s nothing better than maneuvering Haley Concourse blasting the best playlist ever constructed by man.

Share and discuss “Auburn students prefer hip-hop and country over other music genres, recent poll concludes” on social media.