For the first time ever, annual BSU pageant includes women contestants

This year the annual Mr. BSU Pageant became the Mr. and Miss BSU Pageant with the Black Student Union's addition of women into the event.

Three men and three women from the BSU Cabinet and General Assembly participated in the pageant. They competed in three different categories including talent, evening wear and an interview, with the introduction included at the beginning. 

Throughout the program, there were special performances from other members of the organization to give the contestants enough time between the various categories.

One aspect of the pageant included each contestant having a platform they supported and were passionate about. The platforms included many serious issues including sexual assault awareness, promoting prosperity in the black community in Auburn, promoting professionalism, promoting physical activity and health, encouraging post-secondary education, and partnering with the Campus Kitchen to make sure all Auburn students have a meal every night.

Special Programs council of the BSU worked on the pageant since this past summer. Livia Coleman was one of the members selected by the Executive Committee to head this board, which was an easy task she said considering how much BSU means to her.

“BSU means family to me. We are a huge family- we love each other, we care about how each other is doing in school and how each other is doing in our personal life," Coleman said. "That really resonates with me because I love being connected with people.

At the end of the night the winners were revealed. The 2017 Mr. BSU was Jeramiya Kitchens, sophomore in physical education. Kitchens said he was honored to have won the title this year and to represent this organization.

“It’s awesome, and I know that just in this role it comes with a lot of responsibility and I’m ready for it," Kitchens said. "I’m ready to help BSU become a more diverse organization and help us become more involved on Auburn’s campus."

After Kitchens was named, the first ever 2017 Mrs. BSU was announced to be Alexandria Harper, sophomore in management. Harper said she was overcome with emotion as she received her crown, sash, and title.

“I actually went to the Mr. BSU last year and I thought, ‘okay it’s just the guys not the girls’, so I was glad they actually made it Mr. and Miss BSU," Harper said. "I just think it’s going to be really important for me to promote my platform, like I said professionalism is really important. Everyone has to go through it at some point, so I think mine was just really practical and I’m really excited to push it.” 

Share and discuss “For the first time ever, annual BSU pageant includes women contestants ” on social media.