Q&A Faculty share their excitement over winter break

Excitement is in the air as the University has released for its 25-day winter break and students and faculty break from Auburn for bigger and better things. Sitting down with The Plainsman, a few members of Auburn's faculty share their plans for the duration of the break.

Ana Grinberg, instructor in the English department

Q: What is your favorite part of the holiday?

A: I celebrate Hanukkah and that means that sometimes it falls during finals week. This time it began on Dec. 12. For eight days I consider the importance of miracles in our lives because this is a time of remembrance of the re-capture of the Temple and its re-consecration. Miraculously, the oil for the lights lasted for one week while there was enough for only one day. It is a true festival of lights!

Q: What is something you like to do every winter break, like a tradition?

A: Every winter break I have the opportunity to work on my own projects, [including] articles to be published, chapters of my forthcoming book, book reviews I owe a journal. That is, on my own time I work on what I need to become a better scholar and a better instructor for my students.

Keith Hebert, assistant professor in the history department

A: I like driving around and seeing all the houses decorated in lights.  The lights remind me of when I was a kid and those lit houses used to seem larger than life.  

A: Every winter break I visit my in-laws and we play cards until the wee hours of the morning. During the semester there is not much time for playing cards so I try to fill up my winter break with lots of card and board games with friends and family.

Regina Jackson, lecturer in the mathematics and statistics department

Q: What is your favorite part of the Christmas holiday?

A: My favorite part is having time with my kids and family.

A: I have two traditions. First, we spend at least a few nights driving and walking around neighborhoods to see the lights. Second, I cook a big lunch for family and friends on Christmas Eve. After, I attend church with my girls. We used to spend Christmas Day preparing and serving dinner to the less fortunate, but the program will not run this year. Maybe one of our fine students can help to fill this niche.

Share and discuss “Q&A Faculty share their excitement over winter break” on social media.