Letter from Bobby Woodard

Dear students,

Welcome to the special Student Involvement issue of The Auburn Plainsman, Auburn University’s award-winning student newspaper. These pages highlight many of Auburn's student organizations, but there are many more student groups here – more than 500 of them, actually.

These groups range in size and differ in mission, but they’re all here for one purpose, to enhance the student experience. Whether it’s the Student Government Association or University Program Council, two of the largest student organizations on campus, or the Organic Gardening Club or the Theme Park Engineering Club, two organizations I bet you didn’t know about, there truly is a student organization for everyone. You just need to know what’s out there.

The best resource for locating these organizations is AUInvolve, which you’ll find at auburn.edu/involve/. It’s a comprehensive site for all campus organizations, including their upcoming events and some contact information if you want to find out more. Auburn also offers Involvement Ambassadors to help guide students toward student organizations. Contact the Office of Student Involvement if you want to meet with an ambassador one-on-one or in a group.

However you find the groups that are right for you, know that they enhance not only your student experience, but they’ll probably lead to a stronger resume as you start looking for internships or that first job. The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) has identified key attributes that employers are looking for on resumes, and a look at the top five (problem-solving skills, ability to work in a team, written communication skills, leadership and a strong work ethic) shows you just how helpful being involved in student organizations can be. In many of our student groups, you’ll be building these skills on a regular basis.

So take a look around and see what’s available to you. Auburn’s student organizations offer so much, from camaraderie to self-esteem to leadership opportunities to those all-important key attributes that employers are looking for. They also lead to good friends and lasting memories, which may be the biggest benefit of all.

Bobby R. Woodard, Ph.D.

Vice President for Student Affairs

Share and discuss “Letter from Bobby Woodard” on social media.