Tigers ride Mize to win in SEC opener

Coming off the first no-hitter by an Auburn pitcher since 2002, Casey Mize had his work cut out for him in the Tigers’ SEC opener. Mize responded to the challenge just as expected.

The reigning National Pitcher of the Week tossed 7.1 innings of one-run ball as No. 13 Auburn defeated No. 6 Texas A&M 4-1 Friday night at Plainsman Park.

Mize struck out 13 Aggies, which tied a career high, allowing just five hits and one run without allowing a walk.

Auburn was optimistic offensively Friday as the Tigers scored their four runs on just two hits.

The Tigers scored a run in the first inning off Texas A&M starter Stephen Kolek, who entered the night with a 1.46 ERA, on a RBI groundout by Steven Williams.

Williams picked up his second RBI of the night in the third inning on an error by Texas A&M third basemen George Janca. Another error by Janca gave the Tigers their third run of the night in the fourth inning.

The Aggies finished with four errors in the SEC opener.

Kolek went 5.1 innings for Texas A&M (16-3, 0-1), allowing four runs (one earned) on two hits. He finished with three strikeouts and five walks. Chris Andritsos recorded the lone RBI of the night for the Aggies.

Luke Jarvis recorded Auburn’s only two hits of the evening. Calvin Coker recorded the final five outs out of the Auburn bullpen to pick up his third save of the season.

The Tigers improved to 18-1 on the season and 1-0 in SEC play.

The series will continue Saturday at 2 p.m. CST. Davis Daniel (2-0, 5.06) will be on the mound for the Tigers opposing Texas A&M’s John Doxakis (3-0, 0.81).

Share and discuss “Tigers ride Mize to win in SEC opener” on social media.