Auburn baseball racks up 19 runs in rout of Alabama

Auburn dominated from the first pitch in the 19-5 throttling of Alabama on Friday night.

The 14-run victory brings Auburn to 27-12, 7-9 in the SEC and matches the largest margin of victory against the Crimson Tide since the series began in 1896.

"I thought our team was ready to play, evident by the first inning," Auburn coach Butch Thompson said. "In three or four pitches, you get a double, and then you get him over, and then you get him in, and guys just having unselfish team at-bats."

The bats were on fire for the Tigers as their 18 hits doubled Alabama’s nine. Three of the hits were home runs from Steven Williams, Edouard Julien and topped by Brendan Venter’s grand slam. Julien is making a splash as freshman after hitting his eighth home run of the season -- the most for a freshman since 2006.

"You want to be ready from the first pitch, from when they say, `Play ball,'" Venter said. "We were ready to go tonight. Like I said last weekend, we're ready to get this thing rolling. It's good stuff for us tonight."

Casey Mize (8-1, 2.25) was dealing on the mound for the Tigers. Mize suffered a line drive off of his forearm in third inning but went on to allow three runs and strikeout eight before being pulled after five innings.

"I'm glad to see that offensive explosion come back," Mize said. "They really picked me up when I didn't have my best stuff. Putting up those runs, getting us this win, all credit goes to them. I just tried to grind it out and knock out some innings. The offense came through and we got the win."

Auburn has been excellent at home (22-5) this season, but has struggled on the road, especially in SEC play. The victory improved its road record to 4-7 on the season.

"Baseball is about getting on runs, and connecting as a group," Thompson said. "I'd love to stay locked in here. We'll start all square tomorrow, and it'll be another great ballgame. Hopefully we can just keep playing good sound baseball."

The catalysts of Auburn’s offense were the three home run hitters -- Williams, Julien and Venter -- and catcher Brett Wright. The group combined to go  9-of-16 with nine runs and 15 RBI.

Game 2 of the weekend series in Tuscaloosa is set to begin at 7 p.m. and will air on SEC Network. Tanner Burns (2-4, 2.66) will be on the mound for Auburn against Alabama’s Jake Walters (2-4, 5.14)

Share and discuss “Auburn baseball racks up 19 runs in rout of Alabama” on social media.