Williams lifts No. 22 Auburn over Samford for sixth-straight win

Auburn's offense has been putting up some big numbers over the past six games.

No. 22 Auburn defeated Samford 7-2 Tuesday night at Plainsman Park. The Tigers improved to 30-12 on the season and have won seven of their last eight games.

The Tigers offense was led by freshman outfielder Steven Williams. Williams was honored Monday by the conference as SEC Co-Freshman of the Week for the first time in his young career.

Williams stayed locked in as he put together another huge night at the plate, going 4 for 4 with a two-run home run, a double and two singles. He now has 10 hits in his last 14 plate appearances with two home runs and 10 RBI.

"I'm just seeing the ball really well right now," Williams said. "It looks like a beach ball, I just think I have my timing down now."

"(Williams) picked up right where he left off," said Auburn head coach Butch Thompson. "I thought every at-bat was professional and solid. I've never seen him get too high or too low. He just has a high level of maturity at such a young age. He has exceeded my expectations."

Freshman pitcher Jack Owen was strong on the mound for the Tigers, pitching a career-high 5.1 innings and giving up two runs on six hits with five strikeouts. Owen started the first game against Samford earlier this season and had much better results this time out.

"Jack Owen gets the opportunity to go back out there and pitch," Thompson said. "He's a growing, developing pitcher and I was looking for him to put it all together. We extended him tonight and it was the longest outing of his career."

Elliot Anderson relieved Owen in the fifth and pitched 3.2 innings, earning his first career save for the Tigers. Anderson did not allow a run, while giving up three hits and striking out four.

"That's the second week in a row that Elliot Anderson has pitched tremendously for us," Thompson said.

Auburn will look to continue its recent hot streak offensively in Gainsville, Florida, on Thursday to take on No. 1 Florida for a three-game series.

Two of the nation's best pitchers will go head-to-head Thursday night as Casey Mize and Brady Singer will battle on the mound. Thursday's game is set for 6 p.m. CST and will be televised by ESPNU.

Share and discuss “Williams lifts No. 22 Auburn over Samford for sixth-straight win” on social media.