AU to NFL: Malzahn's recruiting process leads to 4 drafted, 7 undrafted Tigers

Auburn had seven former players attend the NFL Scouting Combine held from Feb. 27 to March 5 in Indianapolis, Indiana. With just three players attending the combine the year before, Auburn more than doubled its presence in 2018.

The NFL Draft was held April 26-28 in Arlington, Texas, producing four draftees and seven undrafted free agents from the Plains:

• Guard Braden Smith went in the 2nd round, as the 37th overall pick to the Indianapolis Colts.
  • Running back Kerryon Johnson, went 2nd round, 43rd overall, to the Detroit Lions.
  • Cornerback Carlton Davis was selected 2nd round, 63rd overall, to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
  • Kicker Daniel Carlson went in the 5th round as the 167th overall pick to the Minnesota Vikings.
  • Guard Austin Golson signed with the New York Jets.
  • Running back Kamryn Pettway signed with the Minnesota Vikings.
  • Linebacker Tre' Williams signed with the New York Jets.
  • Edge Jeffery Holland signed with the Denver Broncos.
  • Safety Tray Matthews signed with the Minnesota Vikings.
  • Offensive lineman Darius James signed with the New York Jets.
  • Safety Stephen Roberts signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Recruiting reflects success in the NFL Draft. Preparing players to be assets to teams in the NFL doesn’t always show in the number in which a player is picked. It shows on the field.

247Sports ranked Auburn’s 2018 recruiting class No. 12 nationally, finishing third in the SEC behind Georgia and Alabama -- the best yet under Malzahn's reign. Auburn signed more 4-star and 5-star prospects than all but four programs (Georgia, Ohio State, Texas and USC).

LOOKING AHEAD

With Jarrett Stidham leaving after this upcoming season, quarterback Joey Gatewood out of Jacksonville, Florida, offers duel threat options to Auburn’s offense. committing shortly after his sophomore year of high school, Gatewood shares characteristics with former Tiger Cam Newton and 2016 Heisman winner Lamar Jackson.

Auburn had three versatile running backs commit: Asa Martin, who committed to Auburn over Alabama; Shaun Shivers, who is a smaller third down back, offering elusiveness to Auburn’s progressive offense; and Harold Joiner, who will be used by the coaching staff in creative ways as well.

Share and discuss “AU to NFL: Malzahn's recruiting process leads to 4 drafted, 7 undrafted Tigers” on social media.