Auburn extends baseball coach Butch Thompson's contract through 2024

“Auburn is a special place for my family and me,” Thompson said. “I’m very fortunate to have a great group of young men to lead, a tremendous staff and a great fan base and community that support our program"

<p>Butch Thompson via Auburn Athletics.</p>

Butch Thompson via Auburn Athletics.

For his leadership during Auburn baseball's first season back in the Super Regionals since 1999, Butch Thompson has received a gargantuan vote of confidence from Auburn athletics.

Auburn has extended Thompson's contract through the 2024 season, athletic director Allen Greene announced Thursday evening. The Tigers' loss to No. 1 overall seed Florida in the Gainesville Super Regional marked the conclusion of Thompson's third year of his original five-year contract ($350,000/year).

“Butch is the epitome of an Auburn man,” Greene said. “He cares deeply about the young men in his program and the Auburn community at large. The recent successes of Auburn Baseball over the past few years indicate that Coach Thompson is one of the best skippers in the country, and we’re fortunate to have him.

"I’m excited to lock arms with Butch as he continues to build a program that galvanizes the Auburn fan base and captures national acclaim.”

Through a trio of seasons on The Plains, Thompson has a 102-79 record, including the Tigers' first back-to-back NCAA Tournament berth in 15 years last season.

“Auburn is a special place for my family and me,” Thompson said. “I’m very fortunate to have a great group of young men to lead, a tremendous staff and a great fan base and community that support our program. I’m proud of the accomplishments we have made on and off the field, yet there is still much work to be done. I’m appreciative and thankful for the commitment and support from Dr. Steven Leath and Allen Greene and blessed to have the opportunity to lead the Auburn baseball program every day.”

Auburn bowed out thanks an extra-innings walk-off against the Gators at the tail-end of a season that featured five SEC series victories, a pair of SEC Tournament wins, a sweep of the Raleigh Regional and seven draftees, including No. 1 overall pick Casey Mize.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn extends baseball coach Butch Thompson's contract through 2024” on social media.