Campus comes back to life as students move in

“It’s like the Auburn Family here," Dick said. "We help each other out.”

<p>Incoming students move in on Aug. 16, 2018.</p>

Incoming students move in on Aug. 16, 2018.

After a somewhat quiet summer, Auburn came back to life during move-in day.

Students, faculty and parents all pitched in to help with the process as cars, furniture and boxes with various items could be seen strewn on the concourses throughout the day on Thursday, Aug. 16.

Many students volunteered to help residents move in. Although not allowed to move items into rooms, volunteers did help unload cars and move items to holding areas.

Carly Dick, junior in psychology, joined the volunteer team as a part of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. Dick is an officer of the organization, and she said members were asked to come out and help as a part of the organization's volunteer effort.

Students weren't the only ones volunteering, though. Many faculty, including academic advisor Marlye Armstrong, helped students with moving in. 

“We’re starting a peer mentoring program, so we encouraged all of our peer mentors within the College of Engineering to volunteer today with move-in to meet some of the freshmen that will be their mentees,” Armstrong said.

For many parents, it was not the first time they had helped one of their kids move into a dorm.

“We already have a junior here, so we’re pretty familiar with Auburn," Chad Ettmueller said. "Definitely a lot easier bringing her here because it feels like family and home anyway.”

Chad Ettmueller’s daughter, Kenna Ettmueller, is a freshman who is majoring in nutrition and dietetics.

“It feels good, I’m ready,” Kenna Ettmueller said.

Resident assistants gathered in the lobbies of their respective halls eagerly awaiting their new residents. Many RAs had speakers playing energetic music to match the atmosphere of move-in day.

“Today, we’re here to facilitate checking people in on our online system, as well as making sure the residents have all their questions answered, and we’re just here to be a resource,” said Tyler Jorgensen, resident assistant for Lane Hall.

Jorgensen, junior in marketing, is going into his second year serving as an RA after being responsible for Dunkin Hall last year and living as a dorm resident himself during his freshman year.

“Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself, whether it be to your suite mates in the elevator or just walking around the hallway,” Jorgensen said. “I created some great friendships throughout my residence life experience, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what this year holds.”

Share and discuss “Campus comes back to life as students move in” on social media.